Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Giant combo for subs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Ha! Ok, I have this idea....I am looking for a combo amp that will push some serious loud lows. I want to drive it with the "subwoofer out" jack on my DBX 120XP Subharmonic Synthesizer as a sort of active subwoofer idea. I would be looking for something big, 500-600w's, at least a 15" but an 18" would be ideal. Do they even make something like this? I would have a regular small, toneful rig with my Mesa head and DBX then add the sub for bigger stages.
    Any suggestions.....?

2. You want a powered sub, something like the Mackie SWA1801 would do the trick. 18" driver, 900 watts RMS.

3. yeah, I researched the active subwoofer idea and saw a few. i was surprised by how many really didn't reach down very low at all? The best I found was actually the Samson 15" at 500w's and a low end that reaches down to 30 Hz it looked the best by far http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.SAMEX500 I'll check out that Mackie though, thanks. I thought maybe a bass combo would work but now see that there really isn't much to choose from.

[​IMG]

4. EV and Yamaha also make powered subs. You might check out their websites as well.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I believe EBS makes an active 15" sub.

A lot of active subs have their own crossover network built in too.

6. Those two only go down to like 50 hz or something. I know specs are shifty as well....not always trust worthy. That Mackie looks a little intense! Ha! Not sure how happy those sound folks would be watching me wheel that puppie in! Still, an active 18" with the juice to spare....worth considering. I wonder why more bass player don't consider an active sub route? Seems like such a functional adition to any existing bass system. Well, my monkier does say "Mad"...!

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There's a 500 or 600 watt 15" model too.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Because most bass players don't want those super low frequencies that much - IMHO they're slow, indestinct, and contribute to un-even sound.

Now subs in a PA system, that's cool.

Doesn't Dave Schools of Widespread Panic use a 2x18 sub cabinet live?

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Fact of the matter is that alot of bass guitar systems with 10's go lower than alot of nonspecific bass systems with larger diameter speakers.

A good idea for some serious lows from a sub would be to use the Hartke 215BXL cab with a power amp.

Peace
    Nick

10. Maybe yours do! No way I'd settle for that. My overall tone is very tight and those nether regions are like a massive subharmonic pillow; warm and embracing. The material in my current dub trio calls for some serious 30-80Hz support on occasion. Check out the last half of the Mp3 "Struggle" on the link in my signature. That is a DOD FX25 for a classic deep dub tone. Sometimes I like a sound that you can feel deep in yer bones. Indestinct, blurry wolf tones are dialed out depending on each rooms acoustics. I use alot of filters and synths to cop this sound. Crowd likes how "over the top" it can get sometimes and we all have a bit of fun with it when used judisciously.

[​IMG]

11. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yes. he uses a JBL SR series 2x18 front loaded box with 2 Eden 410XLT's. He stacks the Edens on top of each other and sits the JBL up on its end. OUCH!:eek: :D

12. The 212 XLT only goes to 44Hz on the low end. I don't really think that that is what Vanselus meant by subwoofer, at least I didn't.

IME, IMO, a lot of 15s and 18s sound a little too blurry and slow. The 38Hz low end of my EA CXL 112 is plenty for the B, IMO.

However, for monster 7 and 8 strings, I could see more use out of 15s and 18s. Or maybe a 21" Whappo Grande.

Geoff

13. For this thread I was just trying to narrow down the choices for us bottom feeders when it came to powered 15's or even 18's. I guess the only real options are active PA subs unless someone knows of a high-powered 15" bass combo out there? I sold my XLT's last spring to BassNW because of how sub-shy they were. My current EB-MM HD212's are terrific and offer up a lovely deep dub tone. I want to go with a set-up that will be based around a great head (say, a Mesa M-Pulse) and one great sounding cab. I would then add a DBX 120XP fed 15" or 18" for bigger venues and beefier sub support. I would like to avoid a preamp/power amp situation if possible but it is the obvious route if this one dries up. the combo angle seemed a cheap and easy fix?
    Myer makes amazing 18" servo-powered active cabs but are very pricey. They are very quick and punchy however, why that guy in the Long Beach Dub all-stars uses 'em (among others.) Not all 18" cabs are slushy, take the Big Ben for example.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...it's not 18s or 15s, but the Eden 210XST goes down flat to 30hz, and the 410XST goes down to 36 flat.

Their 10s are deeper than their 15s and 18s...go figure...

15. I guess they think that most bass dudes would be hesitant to huff around a properly tuned 15" or 18"; Too bad. It's all about the cabinet tuning...hell, I'd buy one.

16. I've not had an XST on the bench, but I have real difficult time believing those specs. The D410XLT I did have on the bench proved to be a gutless wonder at 36 Hz, plus it was operating below its 44 Hz tuning frequency.

MSW, if you want to really use the dbx box, get big drivers and move some air. Leave the 10s for the punch crowd.

17. The coolest (lowest) thing I ever heard was this cat from town. He played an Alembic 6 string through a 100 watt Crate combo. It had a EV DL15W in it. Man you talk about low, we played in a room that held 400 people and it was shaking so hard that glasses were falling off the bar in back. Of course my tail was between my legs after I missed the first song when I was hauling my two Peavey 410's and a Peavey 18 out of the club!! Anyway look into an EV speaker like that, they go to 30 I think, and talk around about having a custom box made for it.

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If you REALLY want a REAL subwoofer.....Yes, flat to 30HZ, and loud, is certainly possible, but be careful what you ask for........

(I have a very hard time believing that 2X10 is flat to 30Hz.....that model isn't on their website......if it does go that low, it's certainly not very loud.....)

But anyway....

I'm finishing up a properly tuned 18" cabinet right now. Yes, it is BIG. 47"H x 30"W x 24"D. Eminence Kilomax 18" driver. About 140 pounds. But I live in a house with no stairs, I own a pickup truck AND a dolly, and the few stairways I have to deal with at local venues are wide enough to not be a problem - with a little help.....

BTW, if anyones interested, keep an eye out on e-bay in the Musical Instruments/Pro Audio/Speakers section; there's a company selling a bunch of these drivers (Eminence Kilomax 18 - 1000W RMS) for $160 each. They've been re-posting them on and off for about 2 weeks now. These things list for about $475, and usually sell for around $300. I got mine for $150 :)

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's not a combo, but here's what you need:

The Sh!t A 'Fire
    Bass Radiator Array
    25000 Watts power handling capability
    Hurricane bass output
    Sleeps 2 inside cabinet
    Pentagon 2000 compatible
    Digital ready
    25 18" type 1H7 aluminum drivers
    All oxygen-free Mogami(TM) copper wiring
    Frequency response 2Hz-15000Hz

[​IMG]

20. Well, I had to start this thread 'cause my band mates refused to help me huff this puppy around;

[​IMG]

all the times I moved those cymbal stands and bass drums..you think they'd be a little more supportive?!