1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GIANT oil stain on the driveway, what to do?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Something terrible happened and now there's about a gallon of oil on my driveway. It's everywhere. What do I do?!

HELP

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

fire.

NOW

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    kitty litter, or similar, it will soak most of it up. there is oil absorb stuff they sell at the auto parts store.

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I used towels and then kitty litter to soak up the liquid oil. I sprayed down the driveway with the hose to no avail (alas, oil and water do not mix). I tried dish soap and I have a good feeling about this! I will continue dish soap rinsing the driveway, and then let it soak overnight. Tomorrow I'll buy some professional product.

I also peed on it. That may or may not help.

5. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    The big car leaked a little oil a few months ago. I used strong industrial soap (no idea what kind, only that it was strong) and one of these to remove it.

[​IMG]

It took ages.

Pretty much the same as you are doing with your dish soap and hose, only stronger soap and water with much higher pressure.

6. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    They make alot of products for this.
    Over the years with my POS cars and working at a hardware store for many of them
    rooto makes a concrete cleaner which does an amazing job
    http://www.rootocorp.com/rooto/concrete_b-top_cleaner.html

all you need is a stiff blush on a dowel and a hose.

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Some sort of detergent will get it off. Had the same thing happen to me.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    re-pave.

9. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    When I used to change oil at one of those Quick Lube joints, we would grind the kitty litter into the oil stain holding a 12" long 2x4. Swept it up after a good grinding and the stain disappeared.

10. yep, kitty litter to absorb what you can. Drysweep andsimilar clean up porducts are just expensive kitty litter. For a solvent you will want a degreaser, there are some products made for cleaning broilers and grills that cut really thick grease that might work. PRoblem with soaps and waters is that it will take a lot and you are basically just spreading it around. I personally would just leave it as a mark to show all my neighbors that I am a man and work on my own cars :)

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    cement or blacktop driveway?

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Buy another house?

13. Find a new spot to unload the drum of K-Y and make sure the lid is on tight when you do.

Mike

14. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    You should definitely have firm girls fight on it.

15. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    This.

16. You can have it sealed, the guys come and it looks like they paint it black. Makes the asphalt look brand new and costs a LOT less than repaving.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Kitty Litter. Let it sit for a few minutes and sweep it away and repeat. Since you have so much oil on the ground, you may have to do it a couple of times.

18. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Kitty litter will absorb some of it.

19. Pour the same kind of oil all over the entire driveway, then tell everyone you had a professional *oil tint* applied.

20. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Coke-a-cola