Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Giant Steps

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 31, 2002.

1. has anyone ever tried playing this song on the bass??

i just started to learn both the harmony and melody parts to it.

It has an awkward chord progression to where it starts off major, then switches over to minor, then back to major/minor/major/minor...very exciting to learn!

I also happed to like the melody, and playing on the bass is just heaven. Especially on fretless...AHEM! Gary Willis...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

John Patitucci plays it regularly as a solo piece on his 6-string electric - you can see him do it on a live video I have - can't remember which one at the moment, but I've seen him do it and then explain it to the crowd - must have been one of the bass day things in New York.

3. do you think that i'm just another punk kid who needs to learn every song off the Sum 41 album???

well i'm not i study more theory than anything else...and learning Giant Steps is more a fun practice method to get my reading up to shape.

I understand where it is coming from thought...haha...i do the same thing whenever punks try to learn Longview...lol!!!

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I would think you'd want to start with something a little more...simple than Giant Steps, no? That was created as a platform for Coltrane to show off his soloing, as least it seems to me.

On the Bass Day 97 video, did anyone else notice Pattitucci screwing up the head? He plays it differently at the beginning and end IIRC, and he plays a couple notes out of time, almost as though he forgot what he was playing. I've heard the recorded version, and it's MUCH better...but the solo is almost the same.

P's soloing is amazing. That guy could solo his way out of anything.

Ed..hallelujah! :D

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not really - it was a new and different way to develop or re-harmonise chord sequences. As explained in the "Jazz Theory Book" - at the time it was a harmonic revolution. But as Ed hints, it's really just moving key centres to one a major 3rd away from where you are - either up or down.

Coltrane was the first Jazz musician to create tunes based entirely on major 3rd key motion. It had been done occasionally in a tune before, but most used circle of fifths or descending whole/half tone steps.

Levine explains in his book, how Coltrane applied this to Miles Davis' "Tune Up" and re-harmonised it to creat "CountDown". He explains how this can be applied to other standards and how Coltrane influenced lots of other musicians in the 60s to experiment with this technique - which became known as "Coltrane Changes".