1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson “you have been warned”

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Yeah this reeks of people who worked in other industries aquired a guitar company and is treating this industry like the others they've shoehorned their way into. But I think judging by the social media response
    THEY'VE BEEN WARNED!

2. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    Wait Agnesi is fired already? No matter how you feel about his personality, he just moved his entire family out of California to Nashville. That's terrible, for simply being enthusiastic about your company. Plus the hired him to be a high profile personality. Gibson shooting themselves in the foot would be letting him go. Plus, yes people should stop making exact copies of instructions designed and sold by another brand.

I get that people might not like him, but he's always seemed pretty happy and harmless to me. A decent change from the ultra serious review.

The man has kids, just awful if he got tossed.

3. BassplayinBob

BassplayinBob

Jan 8, 2016
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have never played a gibson instrument: i knew this was coming and wanted to steer clear until the dust settles...or the glaciers melt...or at least until my white castle order is ready.

5. The designs in bold (emphasis mine) may likely be protectd as they seem incunabular. The Les Paul and headstock however, are age-old.

Bassrique, Esq (Knight's Shield Bearer, not attorney)

That is one of the best TB quotes I've read in some time.

6. Biffa

Biffa Banned SUSPENDED

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Gibson have a short memory, they used Orville Gibson's name and ideas to build the company

7. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Didn't Gibson already lose this one*? I guess that if they want to burn money chasing their tails, they're welcome to, but it's not going to make them any new sales or goodwill from the shrinking muso community.

*- PRS Guitars - Wikipedia

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Always room for blatant hypocrisy, of course. After years of diligently protecting its IP, Rickenbacker straight up ripped off a design, and even the name, of the Treble Bezel by Tubeampology, a small mom and pop company that cant afford to compete with Ric deep pockets legal warchest. So much for the self righteous posturing. Fender lost rights to everything but headstock design years ago due to lack of enforcement, this ship has sailed for Gibson too.

9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Maybe a better strategy would have been to start making really, really good guitars and basses again for a competitive price.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Gibson has changed hands so many times the only thing that remains is the name. Management has just changed again (see ya later Henry) and so has the corporate strategy.

They do: Epiphone :roflmao:

11. That's kind of what I was thinking, especially about the PRS thing.

12. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I didn't think that "people copying their designs" was anything close to Gibson's biggest problem.

still, any publicity is better than no publicity, eh?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  13. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I.P. rights don't mean squat when you can't get your guitars off the store shelves.
    2016 to 2019 is likely to be known as the worst period in their history and the guitars built during this time by those who's jobs were up in the air will be proof.

Rabidhamster and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    :whistle:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    IMHO, the fact that there have been Gibson copies for eons means it's a little late to start protecting the IP of people who were employed by a company with the name yours currently has, in a different state, owned and managed by different people, most of whom are long dead.....

16. Maybe if this was the company’s position in 1970 I could take this seriously.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

On the contrary, I think it’s just Mark Agnesi being a loose cannon. So I wouldn’t be quick to rush to judgement and blame the whole company or the rest of the management team.

Any company is going to protect what intellectual property (copyrights, patents, trademarks) it can. There’s no need to go around making threats. And anybody on a director level in a corporation other than a total rube knows that.

I’m guessing what happened was the growing problem of Asian knockoff “Chibsons” came up in a high level meeting. It’s become an even more serious problem because the fakers have upped their game recently as far as quality goes. Some of the newer Gibson knockoffs are very high quality clones. So much so they’re more forgeries than they are your garden variety fake.

I’m further guessing our newly minted director came out of the meeting loaded for bear and did what he does - make a video and post it on Youtube.

Messages like his always need to be cleared through a corporation’s legal department and edited for both the words being used and the tone. That’s why companies have a communications director and corporate legal counsel. Nobody in a big corporation, especially one emerging from a reorganization and exec board shakeup, is going to go off and just wing it like that. Especially in such a combative manner when Gibson is painfully aware they need to restore their image and build good will. The rest of the people in the team have high level corporate experience and understand that. Whereas I very much doubt our good buddy Mark does. So I very much doubt his video was anything Gibson would have ever considered releasing as an official company statement.

When a corporation comes out with its guns blazing it’s always a full court press. There are formal press releases, the CEO comes out stating the policy, there are info packets prepared, talking points established, letters sent, etc. etc. And every single word and every communication is coordinated and completely on point.

The absence of any of that tells me Mr. Agnesi’s video was all his own and released without review. Which makes me think that, in the wake of the public backlash and PR nightmare Gibson now has to deal with at the worst possible time, he won’t be around much longer.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fender enforces headstock trademarks because Fender didn't get trademarks on their body designs, only the headstocks.

This is correct - the fact that Gibson has let other companies copy some of their body shapes, etc. for so long without stopping it means that, if they go to court now about it, they will lose. By not enforcing their intellectual property rights for a long time, their designs have become public domain. All they can do is threaten - they likely have no legal leg to stand on. There may be countries that are exceptions to this, but in the US, they are probably outta luck.

The one thing they might be able to stop is people making copies - putting "Gibson" on the headstock, assuming they have trademarked that. However, the violations of that are most likely happening in China, and getting the government of China to help you enforce your rights against Chinese companies is....not often a fruitful endeavor. They might have luck with stopping sales in the US and other first world countries, but elsewhere...probably not.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Au contraire. If it’s anything it’s an unmitigated disaster for Gibson as far as its business goes.

Marikk, Jjango, miljoneir and 4 others like this.
  20. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    He’s like the Anthony Scaramucci of the guitar world...