1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson “you have been warned”

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Yeah, like the amount of time/investment it took to line up all of those guitars. There are a good 10 or so people standing around in the background watching this, presumably working to help put the video together. I just don't see the reason to invest so much time in a destruction video. A video like that would be more appropriate to come from a retailer being mad at gibson and investing that time/energy to make a statement, but a company investing in that video only to then have to do damage control there.

Gibson reminds me of hanging out with a drunk friend in college who was filled with dumb ideas.

Wisebass, The Owl, Haroldo and 4 others like this.
  2. Arrogant hipster jerks.

The Owl likes this.
  3. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Oh yay, more Baldwin and Maestro guitars?!

4. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    The video maker tells all:

cosmicevan likes this.
  5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Interesting story. As a fan of stories about the rise and fall of companies and what works long term, Gibson is such an interesting story. This video adds a lot of nice insider information.

davidprice likes this.
  6. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Gibsons answer to Fender's "Road Worn" series.

7. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I'd think they could have sent them overseas, or blew the out on ebay with no warrenty for $350.00

Remember that original Nikki Sixxxxx blackbird firebird bass. New for 700 bucks very limited edition, because they were really sad. LOL

The Owl likes this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The best thing Gibson should have done was destroy them in secrecy.

Ronzo and Tvrtko like this.
  9. Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield

Apr 10, 2019
    Pretty obvious that they are neither safe nor unsalvageable, but in order to collect insurance they have to say this. I would think they could get the same money from as a charitable donation, but I don’t know the details of their insurance or whether Gibson has any profit to take deductions. Given their reputation today, a Destroy a Gibson day could have raised a lot more money.

One other thing to remember: these are Firebird X guitars, which only the most slavish Gibson fanbois could even pretend to love. It’s also a given that Gibson isn’t going to keep updating the firmware or producing repair parts. So the only practical solution would be to gut and rebuild them. Beyond that, Gibson is grooming a consumer base that likes Gibson’s high prices; these people don’t want to see any Gibson sold cheap. Gibson could have sent them to the Chinese Epiphone or Kramer factories to be rebuilt as a special limited series, but likely no cheaper than making Firebirds from scratch, and they would still have the Gibson headstock. So while it viscerally hurts me to see them destroyed, I see a lot of reasons why Gibson would choose to destroy them. It would have been a lot smarter to make absolutely sure no one had a video of the event, but “smarter” and “Gibson” haven’t crossed paths in quite a while.

GIBrat51, Wisebass and Koshchei like this.
  10. John j

John j

Dec 20, 2018
    Actually, they would have come out better if they had given them to Pete Townshend to destroy on the tour.

Mike Whitfield and The Owl like this.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I assure you that what they did was the best move for them from a balance sheet perspective, if nothing else, we've learned that Gibson is being lead by business people focused on business as evidenced by several of their recent moves.

Jeff Scott and ajkula66 like this.
  12. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Just think. If you were gullible enough to buy one it might now be worth a mint to a collector because the rest are now gone...

Jeff Scott likes this.
  13. Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield

Apr 10, 2019
    Public Service Announcement: For those who are still Gibson fans AND also guitarists AND buy new, Guitar Center has the Les Paul Studio Limited Edition in Desert Burst or Lemon Burst for $999 (normally $1,499) for three days. This is an incredible price for an American-made mahogany with maple cap guitar with coil-split Burstbuckers and a gloss nitro finish. If I weren't boycotting Gibson I'd have already bought one even though I just ordered a Fender Duo-Sonic.