1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson “you have been warned”

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    It funny that the video specifically said “brand.” I don’t think they understands what a brand really is. Because a lot of people have a bad gut feeling about this.

BC7BEEBD-159B-4125-804B-237C8E59C04C.jpeg

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  2. Putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

lizardking837 likes this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I don't care who you are, that's just flat funny. And, I have quite a few Gibson basses, all with intact headstocks.

4. If only. I don’t consider anyone “happy and harmless” that uses the phrase, “You have been warned” as a brand ambassador.

He wants to act as a corporate version of a “made guy”? Then the corporate version of the Joe Pesci/Goodfellas solution needs to be applied.

If his kids truly mattered to him in this situation, he would have thought much harder before he released this idiocy.

5. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    He just got excited about given position. That's all.

dalkowski likes this.
  6. To me this seems more a case of a new staff, where the SOP is still being written, etc. Gibson was smart to hire this guy who knows the vint market backwards and forwards, as I've always felt they looked at the vint market as a metric to set their prices.

It's more of a bluff than a legal reality, as I agree with 40hz that they've no steady record of pursuing these things, and have the notable setback vs. PRS. I also think that a 'recovering' bankrupt company saddled with massive debts and a wheelbarrow full of once-profitable brands probably does not have big funds to wage big lawsuits that they know are iffy at best.

But I can't say it doesn't work to a degree. There are beautifully made, perfect replicas sold in the Japanese market that are NEVER seen here via commercial presence.

N-LP-STD | ESP GUITARS

And this is hardly the only one, but I guarantee you ESP would never think of selling these here. As far as everyone else, time will tell.

But their best defense will be to once again make guitars that will prompt the market to say, 'they really turned it around, they're back': Buying alternatives became a thing because folks realized they DIDN'T want what the perception of Gibson had become.

7. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    This whole entire equation with Italian mobsters shows how xenophobic you are and says more about you than his words defending his company.

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Comparing a company to movie is now xenophobic????? :facepalm:

9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I was just looking at this Harley Benton the other day. For $187 HB isn't competing with Gibson but they're definitely competing with Epiphone.

[​IMG]

Mike Whitfield, BassikLee and Bass V like this.
  10. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    Equating Mark to something from Goodfellas because he is Italian is, yes. But keep thinking it isn't champ.

11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    That's not how I read it at all. Agnesi went from working at a guitar shop to "Director of Brand Experience" at one of the two biggest guitar companies in the world. How is that not becoming a "made man?" They certainly acted like it in Norm's going away videos.

Marikk, davidprice and Picton like this.
  12. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Totally fine to protect your product. Publicly ‘warning’ other builders isn’t the right way to do it. Whatever Gibson big wig ok’d that commercial is a fool.

The Owl likes this.
  13. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    he should relay this message to china the biggest offenders.

shrigg, ajkula66 and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  14. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    now that he is gone maybe norms will have a real bassist demo their gear.

Jjango, leadfingers, shrigg and 4 others like this.
  15. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    They congratulated the guy on getting a dream job. Good for him. Hopefully he won't make anymore foolish statements out of youthful enthusiasm.

16. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Funny how these vlogger guys always end up as bad as the old media they were meant to be the antidote to. Follow da money! Agnesi was all over social media last year, apologising for not giving his wife and family enough attention and for putting his projects first. Now look at him! I miss the days he was merely swinging vintage headstocks dangerously close to shelving units while giving it his best faux-guido schtick. Now somebody has gone and told him he's important.

Also, biggest lol to Gibson thinking that a dude with a massive widow's peak, in a too-small leather jacket, is somehow going to increase their chances of a sale. Flogging vintage pieces to lawyers and Japanese businessmen is a bit different to propping up an entire ailing brand.

17. My ex-wife was Italian-American. Some of her relatives had that attitude going.

I also grew up in a lower-middle class Italian-American and Irish-American neighborhood in New York City. Anyone who actually knows me would find your at-a-distance analysis of my alleged xenophobia a complete and utter joke.

Welcome to ignore.

18. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I beg to differ. I'm a fan of his videos. I was kind of chuffed that they hired an actual guitar lover into the corporate world. I felt like one of our guys snuck past the gatekeepers.

Kitsapbass likes this.
  19. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I hope not. I think he'll be a good influence on Gibson if they let him have some say on product development. He's a walking encyclopedia of vintage guitars.

20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Fender tried this years ago and got their asses handed to them.

There have been so many similarly designed guitars in the market for so many years that if Gibson was foolish enough to try they would get the same results. And this has been tested in the past. IIRC they sued some foreign brands ages ago and it was decided that the matching head stock was the clincher. Once the offenders changed the head stock they were fine.

This is foolish and bad PR on their part.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019