1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson “you have been warned”

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lol!:roflmao::roflmao:

Mike Whitfield and The Owl like this.
  2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, gotta luv how after finally tossing Henry and hiring Agnesi the first thing they do is aim the shotgun straight at their foot and pull the trigger to piss people off again and toss their reputation back into the toilet.

as far as the guy's bass videos, I got a lot out of them despite the easy target aspects, he busted out great pieces and provided decent sounds on them to help make judgments pro or con. I hope their vids continue.

Mike Whitfield and The Owl like this.
  3. :vomit:

4. Consider yourself lucky you're not a tuba player then...

Mike Whitfield and eddododo like this.
  5. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    He won't. He'll be fired within a week. He went cowboy. That's fine when you work at a music store. Not a corporation.

If I wanted to make a public statement on behalf of what I perceive to be my employer's best interests, I would have to:

1. Go to PR (Gibson has a PR department).
    2. Go to legal (Gibson has a legal department) with every word written out. They will rewrite it for me.
    3. Go to the CEO. Get permission to make public statement.
    4. Go to the board of directors. Clear it with them. It will have to be unanimous.
    5. Make video word for word as per Legal's draft.
    6. Show video to PR, Legal, CEO and board. Every last one must sign off.
    7. Upload approved video.

This is not unusual, any corporation does it this way. Some add other steps. These are the minimum.

He did none of that, and did some real PR/brand damage, as you can tell by some of the comments. They can't keep him.

Sometimes learning the rules in the real world is hard, and sometimes that learning process involves you getting fired or worse. When I left music as a full-time pursuit and got into corporate IT work, the hardest thing was learning the chain of command and that I couldn't wing it the way I used to. I got spanked hard, more than once.

Hey, at least Gibson probably won't sue him. Take that as consolation.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  6. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    The law requires a very pro-active defense of your rights, otherwise, at law, you will lose them. It also requires renewal of trademarks, otherwise, you lose them.

“Aspirin” is just one of them.

Kitsapbass and EatS1stBassist like this.
  7. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out Agnesi... here's some information on Cobra coverage.

8. Agnesi at Law, popping off about that which he knows nothing about. They would, as others have pointed out, spend a lot of money not just getting their ass kicked, but doing so in humiliating fashion, and right after coming out of a BK. Which, of course, is exactly why the brass pulled that stupidity as soon as they could. What an idiot. I own Gibson products, but even so, it’s just hard to root for this company.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Mike Whitfield likes this.
  9. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Astoundingly stupid PR for Gibson, this coming right after the company was driven into bankruptcy by a non-music guy wanting to make it into a "lifestyle brand."

Why would Mr. Agnesi make a video like this? Did his bosses at Gibson sign off on it? Or was he simply being an over-eager "put me in the game, coach!" new employee?

Either way, it's a disaster for a brand that can ill afford more bad PR.

10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Do you know someone inside Gibson? Did someone tell you that's what happened?

11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I don’t see how an encyclopedic knowledge of vintage guitars should have any bearing on current/future production. Unlike some folk, the last thing I want is more copies of outdated designs...

Mike Whitfield and TrustRod like this.
  12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Maybe because the vintage Gibson market is booming and their new sales have slumped?

13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    No, and no. I don't need to be told what happens to newly-hired employees who make a public spectacle of themselves to the detriment of their employers.

Koshchei and cosmicevan like this.
  14. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I've been watching a pretty cool guitar dealer's Youtube called "Trogly's Guitar Show".

The newer Gibsons seem pretty darned good from what I've seen there, and even the maligned designs of recent years, at least from a collector POV, have their interest points.

I am not offended by Gibson defending their IP.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Isn't the whole management team new?

16. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm a bit surprised that people here seem to be attributing this all to Agnesi personally. On a guitar forum I follow, it was pretty much accepted as a given that he was just reading a script. What I suspect is that the new non-music-biz control structure came in, looked around, and figured that what they consider Gibson's intellectual property was being exploited all over the place, and (having no feel for the guitar-buying community) just decreed, "We've got to crack down on this." There are a lot of management skills that can transfer fairly easily from one industry to another, but there's no substitute for knowing your market, and the new Gibson management has, I suspect, just received a lesson about stuff unique to the world of building and selling guitars. Ironically, Agnesi--love him or hate him--probably does understand; hence, I strongly suspect that this was not his idea.

17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Yeah, I like his channel. Most Gibson guys talk about 50s and 60s guitars. Trogly seems to be into Norlin era and late 80s Gibsons.

Adam Wright likes this.
  18. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Ultimately he's a salesman. Those weren't his private guitar collection. He is/was there to flog Norman's Rare Guitars and give them an edge over the competition.

19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Any unsanctioned press or even social media use is a big no no in corporate land these days. In the past 2-3 years, I've not only seen policies regarding social media use come out across the corporate landscape, but most companies now have very strict training programs about what's okay and what's not okay when it comes to social media and in general using your company's name.

I've heard that it is also becoming a staple part of the interview process for new college grads - these days in an interview many smart companies will have you log into your social media accounts in front of them to see what you are up to and publicizing - and many have fresh out of college kids there to help uncover finstagram accounts and other hidden accounts - and if an account is found that you didn't tell them about, instant loss of employment.

These days, one rogue tweet/post can lead to millions in lost revenue for a company or an end to your career.

I see where this Gibson guy's head is at - sue or settle and ultimately make a few bucks on every guitar sold that looks like a gibson. A strong licensing agreement on body shapes can literally float the company without them making any of their own instruments. That said, he went about it all wrong. Making threats just makes you look bad - if you wanna sue, just sue.

20. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Actual Italians and Irish people are sound; I'm proud to say I know many of both. Add the -American suffix and you somehow end up with the most obnoxious people living their own worst stereotype.

British people abroad are much the same, if not even worse.