1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson “you have been warned”

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    The 74, 77, and obviously 60's J's are sweet man. Somewhat hit or miss on the 70's stuff, more hit though.

2. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    Comical as I am married to a Sicilian and live in a city that has probably the highest percentage of Italians in the country, but I'm sure I live in a bubble and have no direct knowledge at all. You seem to know me so well. I'm totally at a distance. But I will give you this, there is a gigantic contingent of NYC Italian American dudes who all wanna pretend that they are cousins with John Gotti, so I at least understand where the animosity comes from having lived there as well. Oh yeah I forgot, I'm "at a distance".

3. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Thunderbird is a check. Wasn't impressed. Victory is one I've only seen, never gotten the chance. Modern EB is ok, I guess. Ripper, from the 70's was clutch. Grabber from what 2012-ish was average at best.

4. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I have played the standard tribute doublecut. Again, an average bass at best imo.

ICM likes this.
  5. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Got to say the 60s t-birds are an entirely different animal than the later ones - though the new Epiphone Vintage Pros are surprisingly good: and better than any Gibson t-bird since the 60s (IMO, YMMV, et al)

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    What's the standard tribute doublecut, this?
    [​IMG]

7. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Promoted to "Experience Director"? Why not GO MAD WITH A LITTLE BIT OF POWER!

Jjango, Mike Whitfield and davidprice like this.
  8. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    meant to throw "junior" in there. Sorry.

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This thread is a circus, exactly what I imagine the Monday morning management meetings at Gibson are like.

Probably verbatim. Including the Godwin stuff. Having a negative opinion of Gibson means you are Hitler. Yeah. I'd bet that's actually been said in the boardroom. More than once. This week.

Mike Whitfield and MobileHolmes like this.
  10. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    That's a lot of Blues Lawyers planning to invade Poland...

Mike Whitfield and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    No soup for you!

Mike Whitfield and ctmullins like this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    No problem.
    The thing is, they're entirely different basses.
    I'm not a short-scale guy but the new Gibson was a bit of a surprise.
    Never owned a Gibson bass, but if I needed a short-scale, I'd definitely consider this one.

pcake likes this.
  13. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

Having worked for years in large companies that dwarf Gibson, I’ve witnessed my share of corporate IP communications. Having viewed this Gibson video, I see nothing wrong with what was said.

To me the only wrong action was the company failing to back up a new executive by pulling the video. There’s no doubt this constant infringement assault is and has been on their minds for some time.

I highly doubt Gibson will fire Agnesi. And don’t think for a minute that Agnesi ginned this up on his own. As a Marketing exec, he sits in the upper inner circle, probably next to one or more Legal folks.

ajkula66, petrus61 and sludgetail like this.
  14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I've never played an LP bass, but the dude from Supersuckers looks bad*** playing his. If coolness factors into your purchase, that is.

[​IMG]

foolforthecity likes this.
  15. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    For those that haven't seen the Agnesi video, here it is:

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I doubt anybody else did or that it was official. Otherwise the company would have backed him up. But so far there has been nothing public out of Gibson at all. I think they’re still trying to figure out how to respond.

Besides, Mark Agnesi holds the title of Director. That title means he is a big wig there.

17. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Pretty cringy but one can see it was a professional (well, almost, as the camera operator is clearly having focus issues), multi-camera, professionally lit and edited video - not something he did with his iPhone on a break - so I have to assume he's speaking for the corporation (even if clumsily).

Also, man, he comes off stiff compared to the Norm's videos.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Mike Whitfield likes this.
  18. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Honestly the funny part is that they haven't done it earlier. If indeed those shapes are trademarked, then they have every legal reason to pursue it. That kind of trademark is known as "trade dress" and it is a very real and very enforceable thing. The question becomes, "Why did you not protect your trademark (trade dress) before this?" If you don't use your trademarks and enforce them, you can lose the rights to them. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

19. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Dont no much about Gibson basses, do love a good Les Paul 6.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  20. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Please, capitalism was coined by Karl Marx because he didn't want to debate something simply called the "free market".