1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson 1977 RD Artist active bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coastal-tony, Dec 13, 2006.

1. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    I'm looking to get another bass and this RD Artist model has my interest. Anyone have information on them? Be it good, bad, or ugly. If you have one to sell, I'm all ears.:help:

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Texas Noise Factory is a member here and he plays two of them (lucky bastard:D ) you might want to PM him and get his opinion

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Lots of info here including sound clips.

http://www.gibsonbass.com/

I have a '77 Fireburst RD Artist. Built like a brick ****house. Big, pretty heavy, but the neck though chunky is very playable. I'm not crazy about all the Moog nonsense but I think it sounds great in straight mode.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, I didn't like the weight or the electronics, but it had a killer ballsy passive tone.

5. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    I love mine. Sure they are heavier than heck being all maple. They are quite versatile, eat 9v batteries, require extra longscale strings if you string them through the body, and take a bit of time to get used to playing because of their ergonimics. (The neck's reach is pretty long since it hangs farther toward your fretting hand than a regular fender does.) That said, I love both of mine. They are bulletproof if they haven't been tampered with. I've owned three of them and never had any problems with their operation. Just keep feeding them batteries. :) As far as tone, my personal opinion is that they sound like angry pianos. The pickups are quite hot. It can get very very bright sounding when put in expansion mode and boosting the treble +5db. also you can get excellent sub bass sounds out of it rolling the highs to -5db and boosting the lows to +5. I've heard other people say they sound too hi-fi, but I run mine through my SVT and 8x10. That seems to warm it up a bit.

6. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I had a 77, Well built, sounded good but you'll find they're all heavey as h#*%. That didn't bother me as I was in my early 20s. Had to trade mine for an amp head when mine got destroyed on the road and i needed a new head that day. Flipped a coin kept the P-Bass. That was 1981-82 the days are a blurr.

7. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    Sweet, that is what I thought. Anyone have a $$$ value?

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I sold mine about five years ago (ex. cond. w/case) for $800 or so, and that's about what I see them go for now depending on condition and finish color.

9. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    I found a maple version in perfect condition. The cat is asking $800.00 with the original case. The case is rough, but it's just a case.

10. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    coastal-tony, I forgot to mention. The cases on these are actually kind of important. My second RD came without a case, so I ended up buying a Jackson Kelley bass case (all I could find that would fit it with little modification) and using that to carry it around in. Be happy it has a case. They are not easy to come by. The price you quote is a fair price for what I see them going for. The natural finish one was the most common I believe. But in perfect condition and with case makes it worth 8 bills IMHO. The last one I bought about 4 years ago was ~$900 shipped. I wouldn't sell mine for under a grand, and I get offers often. I'm just not selling! :)

11. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    Damn good point, THANKS

12. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    I got one in a natural finish for $300.00. Anyone else have one for me?

13. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    The RD was the bass that took my GAS virginity...... I was finally chased out of C & S Music because I kept drooling on it!

14. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx

Sounds like a winner you've got there if its in good condition.

15. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    I'll post a few pictures soon.

16. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    Sweetness