Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson 20/20 Bass... What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Aug 12, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
  2. U! G! L! Y! You ain't got no alibi, you UGLY!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Those basses came out in the mid 80s. They were actually designed by Ned Steinberger. I think their production run was very limited, as they suffered from the same stigma all Gibson basses have.

4. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Well, okay, I must have missed something along the way. What is the deal with Gibson basses? What's this "stigma" that was mentioned earlier? The closest I ever got to one was some copy that looked cool, was a reasonable size, but sounded, eh, not so good. Does Gibson make bad basses in general?

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The EB series basses were pretty muddy sounding, and the main reason for the bad reputation. They have made some pretty good basses, though. The Thunderbird is a great bass, the Ripper/Grabber basses were pretty good, and the Victory bass was nice. They are all different in feel and sound from Fender basses, so people used to Fenders often don't like Gibsons. I have a 1976 Thunderbird that is an excellent bass.

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    What are these bad boys made out of, though? Are they graphite or are they mahogany?