Gibson 2019 / 3 offerings.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockscott, Sep 1, 2019.

1. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I fear the end is near for gibson basses! They are building an sg, a lp tribute and the thunderbird. I cant imagine they will continue building basses with such a small share of the market?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Better stock up on used sunburst '60s EB-2D's from Reverb?
    (I'm looking for an excuse!) :roflmao:

bobyoung53 and ajkula66 like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Gibson hasn't been a big player in the bass market for at least 40 years and after filing for Chapter 11 last year it only makes sense to concentrate on items that are their bread and butter offerings IMO and not too many of those are in the "bass guitar" section.

BTW, they are still offering the (post-2017) EB series in both 4 and 5 string guise.

4. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    852C1F43-A1C7-4543-BB8B-BDC7E20E35E2.jpeg

Looks decent enough to me. The two uber classics, plus one with a bit of a twist (whilst still staying within the brand’s lane) with the LP Jr. DC. Not exactly overwhelming, I’ll admit ;) but, I mean, Fender really only has the two basic models plus now the Mustang, with pretty much everything else being arguably more in the "Other" category (Coronado, etc.).

Meanwhile, Epiphone is the same company as Gibson and they have a pretty decent variety of basses.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  5. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Actually, I see Kramer and Steinberger are Gibson brands, too (while Tobias is handled more like a model within the Epiphone fold). So, there’s a couple more basses, fwiw

6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    What were you hoping to see? Any model(s) in particular?

There are a few cool ones from their past they could pull out, but the main thing I’d like to see is a return to alnico pickups. Oh yeah, and a moving on from the 3-point bridge.

Actually, specific model-wise, I would really like to see Gibson do a Thunderbird Vintage PRO-style offering, preferably a Thunderbird II. In my dream world, they’d make it medium scale, but alas...

ajkula66 likes this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    There are a few models that I wouldn't mind seeing as an re-issue, but realistically speaking their price would likely prevent me from ever purchasing them. I would love to own a brand new "proper" EB-2DC but that would likely hit $5-6K in the "Historic" guise.

They are much better off sticking with their breadwinners IMO.

dmt and Wisebass like this.
  8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I was just thinking, they could round out their lineup a bit more with a J-200-based acoustic bass (JB-200 ?), which could be a very cool offering, but then my next thought was "for $5,000". So yeah, I wouldn’t be getting one

9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

The Epiphone El Capitan actually is a J-200 with a bass neck

My man Greg Lake playing an El Capitan
    75E16CA4-94D3-42BD-B68B-3322B639E522.jpeg

Border and dmt like this.
  10. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Breadwinners were Ovation.

dmt, BillMason and ajkula66 like this.
  11. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I still love the look of the EB-2 but honestly, even the vintage ones are not selling. I've seen them in stores literally for years and there are plenty to choose from online. Doesn't help that they are listed around $2K. The number of us baby boomers that remember them fondly (despite their horrible thumpy sound) is dwindling every day. And I guess the Midtown line didn't do well or it would have been continued.

I would have thought a reissue of the Ripper/Grabber line would have sold better than the LP tribute.

BillMason likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s sound was nothing to get excited about IMO.

PDGood likes this.
  13. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have a 10 year old El capitian, sounds heavenly but laborious to play! I would love to see a short scale thunderbird offered in natural finish. I have an 2014 anniversary edition sg, its probably my favorite neck of all time!

dmt likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I wish more companies would limit the number of models, and run leaner. Keeps prices down.

15. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Fixed that for you.

StrangerBasses likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have an El Capitan too. Easily one of the most uncomfortable instruments I ever played due to that huge body depth it has. But it has tone to die for. So I continue to play it and never complain. :)

B-Mac likes this.
  17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not sure how. Whether it's cars or clothes, or anything else, it works. Cut the fluff.

18. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    We ARE talking about Gibson right? Have you seen their prices?

grrg63 likes this.
  19. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Gibson has always been expensive. Their bass prices were expensive long before they did this.

20. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Those are the only three that I'd ever want from Gibson anyway.

I don't get why they had to give the new one a whole mouthful of a name instead of just LP DC Bass or, even better, DC Bass.

Even though the only 5s I'm interested in are Fender-style (Alleva), useless (Thumb), or awesome (Dingwall)- Thunderbird really ought to be available as a fiver with a 3+2 headstock that someone really takes their time designing.

A Ripper fretless was one of my favorite fretlesses I've ever played... maybe they could sell ten per year of those.

I do sorta want a DC Standard with binding and trapezoid inlays and the option of Antique White or TV Yellow as I really hate dots and dark colored bodies on stage.

And, if my Reverb searches are to be considered, EB-0>EB-3. I have nearly no desire for that comb-filter-o-matic bridge pickup except for "stereo" wiring to send it through pedals to a guitar amp, and they ruined that option by going vvt. An EB-0 with L-1000 wiring would probably be pretty great. I'll bet there's a ton, like an actual metric tonne of people who're shopping for basses who agree with me on that one. Or maybe just ten who want a Ric-o-Tone EB-3 and four who want an EB-0 with a bass-cut knob.

ajkula66 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021