Gibson 3-Point Bridge Mod For Sustain and Counter Weight

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Interspace Station, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Posted this in the SG/EB club thread earlier but figured it'd live well on its own in Hardware & Setup.

Recently I've been wanting to mod or upgrade the 3-point on my '14 SG Special both for tonal improvement (specifically to fix those windings laying over the saddles) and weight/neck-dive issues. I've been searching for a Mod Bar as an ideal solution because they're cheaper than a new bridge (and honestly I like the look of the 3-point), but they seem to be hard to come by these days.

After much stalling, I finally went to the hardware store yesterday to see what kind of DIY options I could muster, and I saw these beauties that turned out to be pretty much ideal an ideal solution:

3PointBridge_Mod_1.jpg

This is essentially the same as the hex nut mod other members have mentioned but it looks cleaner and adds substantial weight to the butt end of my bass. The bushings themselves would have been fine to catch the ball end of the string, but the brass inserts help catch that much better and provides an additional lip for the bridge itself to hold on to.

3PointBridge_Mod_2.jpg

Visually the alignment is a bit off due to the curve of the back side of the bridge, but aesthetically the shape of the bushings add familiar curves already established by the screw posts.

3PointBridge_Mod_3.jpg

Overall I'm excited to show off this mod option and encourage any of you to give it a go if you find your low E to be lacking in volume/sustain.

Thanks for reading!

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You have just invented 3-point bridge cojones.

96tbird and Interspace Station like this.
  3. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    ¡Gracias!

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Looks purty.

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Someone out there has a bar attachment that does the same thing, but I think I like this mod better. One advantage not mentioned: these Gibby/Epi bridges tend to have E-string issues since the saddle is so far back the string tries to intonate over the whipping or ball silk portion of the string instead of the speaking part of the string. The OP's bushing solves that issue by extending the ball of the string farther back.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Interspace Station likes this.
  6. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Thanks for the compliment, @iiipopes! That was indeed the primary incentive with this mod - moving the windings off the saddles. Adding weight was a bonus!

The bar attachment you're referring to is the Mod Bar by WEBBTECA which was my inspiration, and to me is an aesthetically preferable method, but this was cheaper and quicker to make myself.

7. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    A small part of my brain was anticipating possible slippage of the bushings and my face/head sustaining injury from a string loosed under tension, but after a weekend of jamming they haven't budged, nor have I lost any significant tuning. The break angle remains sharp enough to hold in place even with my action set relatively low.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021