Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson 5 bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Dec 17, 2001.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    From time to time I find a Gibson 5 on eBay at pretty good prices. This bass was one of a batch of the then new Gibson 4 and 5 strings that came out with in the mid thru late 80s. Apparently they didn't catch on, but that doesn't mean that they are bad; or are they?

Has anyone tried the Gibson 5? Its a set neck five string with two humbuckers. It has a double cutaway body that's not quite a P or J shape, but close.

I'm looking for a cheap 5 string. Anyone know anything about this axe?

Thanx

Ron

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The Gibson Bass IV and Bass V are pretty cool. The Bass V I have plays excellent (if you like the string spacing, which is quite tight) and sounds pretty cool. The sound isn't high tech at all, more like a Gibson Thunderbird, as it has the same pickups as a Thunderbird, but is set neck instead of neck through. If you want the high tech sound on a budget, this isn't it...you are better off looking for a new or used Cort Curbow or ESP LTD 200 or 300 series (all of these have a three band EQ). If you want a passive sound that is quite a bit different from a Fender, the IV or V may be your cup of tea.

Steve

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks SMG,

Sounds like the Gibson V isn't quite for me. I'm prefer a bass that can give me a high tech sound first and perhaps a vintage vibe second. If I find a Gibson V that is just ridicoulously cheap, I may give it a shot, but it sounds like its not really the axe for me. Plus, 5 strings from the 80s make me nervous. Often the low B strings are way floppy even on high end axes. It would seem the manufactures got a better handle on this science over the past ten years.

Thanx again!!!

Ron

4. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    is it just me, or do alot of gibson basses look ugly?
    i mean, most of their bodies are the same as guitar ones, and i dont think they suit basses

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I agree, most Gibson basses have been butt-ugly. As it so happens, however, the Gibson V has an almost Fender-ish shape. I will give Gibson credit for at least trying to avoid the Fender trap (barring the above example). I mean honestly, how many other manufacturers have built basses derived from the Precision or Jazz shape? Then again, I've always had a fondness for the Thunderbird shape but in black rather than the ugly (IMHO) tobacco burst. However, the axe is way lopsided. Not very practical, but sorta cool.

I saw Gibson's new catalog and it included a SG shaped bass with a full long scale neck. It was black and had a black pearloid pick guard. It actually looked pretty cool.

Ron

6. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote What Would McVie Play? Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Wow, it's been a long time since this thread was bumped...:D

I'd been specifically looking for one of these Gibson V's for a year or so, and finally found one... in Ferrarri red w/black hardware, in original hardshell case, with tags, and in dead mint condition. Never having played one, (since they are pretty scarce) it was a bit of a chance to take, but I am hoping for a more more traditional passive tone to contrast with my Turner EL-535-PMM. Oddly, they're sorta' styled alike....

Anyway, after I've had it a while, will post pictures and a review on it.

7. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Hey mods, okay to start a new thread on this?

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You could have started a new thread as an "NBD Gibson Bass V" and still can if you want to

9. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks! What's NBD? (sorry...)

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    New Bass Day, you'll see those posts pop up a few times a day

11. EdwardofHuncote