1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson 800-B Bass Preamp Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sotjian, Apr 24, 2010.

1. sotjian

sotjian

Nov 18, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I acquired a Gibson 800-B Bass Preamp Head a while back. It's listed as 25 watts and has 2 inputs that each has two inputs. Front panel glows when turned on. Does any one have one? What do they they support cab wise?

Thanks in advance.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Cab-wise, they were typically paired with this... an 800-B 2X15 monster...

hohner_1.

It's a powered cab (ala some of the old Acoustic setups)... I got this cab from a drummer... the amp and speakers were blown, so I gutted it and loaded it with Eminence Kappa's and it was a great cab right up until I gave it away...

I don't know that the 'head' was ever intended to power anything... All the research that I could find (as well as info from the guy I got this cab from) indicated that it was strictly a pre. Are you sure that the 25 Watt rating is output and not consumption?

-robert

3. sotjian

sotjian

Nov 18, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Robert

Thanks for the reply.

I've included a few pics of the 800-B for fun. So this "head" doesn't power the cabs? Sorry, new to this scenario but I've never heard of powered cabs. I'll Google that. I'm not quite sure what to do with this thing.. it is pretty when it lights up though ;)

Cheers

Attached Files:

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Lets see some more pictures!!

But yes, that was a PREAMP... meaning, the power amplifier was in the cabinet.

Think of the old Acoustic 360 (preamp) and 361 (single 18 inch speaker in folded horn enclosure with 200w amp).

magnum_2.

Looks like it might be the pre amp for this bad boy.
    Doubt gibson ever moved more than a 100 or so of them.

5. sotjian

sotjian

Nov 18, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I uploaded a bunch of pics to my Flickr account.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlamoureux/

Ya. It looks like the unit in the Gibson ad, where the hell did you find that?, you posted. Great.. now I have to find my a Magnum 800 :D

Cheers

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
  7. sotjian

sotjian

Nov 18, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Are powered cabs common? I'll check with Google but I'm curious if you guys know if there are smaller cabs like 2x10 or 1x15s?

8. Bag End makes powered cabinets in the 2X10, 1X18, and 1X15 configurations, about $1500-$2000. Also Meyer makes the 650R series, as well as others , but the 650 is for musical instruments. I don't immediately know of anyone lse making them.

9. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Berg's IPR series are powered.

Also consider getting a power amp so you can use the pre with an unpowered cab.