Gibson acquisition of Mesa/Boogie: The first six months

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fakeneckplate'65, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Has anything changed, for better or for worse? Anyone have any insight? I'm curious.

timplog likes this.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    We still have Andy. ;)

timplog, Balog, Jeff Scott and 56 others like this.
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Good thing I bought my cab before they changed anything.

juggahnaught and Kijuer like this.
  4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I'm still waiting for London Drugs to start stocking the MESA-branded mini beer fridges... :)

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, I am continuing on as part of Mesa/Gibson and this will give me the opportunity to work on some back burner projects that some of you are going to enjoy.

The first challenge to overcome is the chronic global shortage of parts and components that all manufacturers are currently struggling with.

pgbassman, timplog, WayneB and 112 others like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Major changes for me, as I switched to a Mesa Subway WD-800 amp!

Coot, Matt Dean, Aqualung60 and 4 others like this.
  7. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    If you solve that one man you will indeed be enshrined!

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I lost 10 pounds. Not bad.

9. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    There were a couple of big acquisitions over the last year or so. Spector and Aguilar are now owned by Korg. Ampeg now under Yamaha. I think it’s all gonna be fine. Not like the carnage of Fender’s acquisitions.

10. It's encouraging that the new Gibson has seen the obvious advantage of keeping the architect of a hot-selling bass line (that replaced a set of wonderful bass gear Mesa sold previously) as well as the wonderful acoustic amps (a BIG deal here in Nashville). I'm not sure what would have happened under the previous regime. Good for you, Andy !

I will admit that THIS development by Gibson here in Nashville is going to get VERY interesting:

Welcome to Gibson Garage

This is, in essence, a retail 'factory' store, in a town with several long-suffering Gibson dealers (the dealer agreements they had to sign in the Henry J days could be more than onerous . . . . ). Aside from the Guitar Center and Sam Ash branches, there are several big local stores who are Gibson and/or Epiphone dealers, and I really wonder how this is going to go over. AT LEAST . . . . . Nashville FINALLY has a Mesa retailer, and Gibson is of course, such a bass powerhouse . . . . . . stay tuned.

MattZilla, DJ Bebop, tindrum and 4 others like this.
  11. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I’ll bet that’s the only place in the country that has the whole Mesa line.

12. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    A Class D Lunchbox amp with a tube pre similar to the Prodigy would be pretty cool. Just saying. :thumbsup:

ColdEye, SLPimp, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Well, at least the car makers aren't fighting over the supply of tubes. ;)

I'm fortunate to be in an R&D role, on the "R" side, so I can live with shortages by making substitutions. In a couple cases I've bought the parts I needed from eBay. But that doesn't work for real engineering. What matters most to me at the end of the day, is if I know what I did and can believe the results.

timplog, dbsfgyd1, Jim C and 7 others like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think consolidations and mergers will become the norm for the foreseeable future across industry in the wake of the mishandling of the Covid response.

I don’t see any problems with that in and of itself. It’s happened in larger industry segments (auto, computer, energy, transportation, et al) in the past. And those industries emerged far stronger in the wake of it. I don’t think the music industry will fare any differently or suffer because of it.

I’m not worried about Mesa.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  15. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    That's great news! Some products I'd like to see:
    1x3" Subway cab
    4x15" vertical array Subway cab
    5 channel 800 watt class A all-tube ultralight portable amplifier
    Subway WD-40 amp*

I don't have a real interest in buying. I'd just like to see them... Well, actually, a 40-watt amp would be interesting to me, but I suspect there wouldn't be a huge cost difference in producing a 40 watt or 800 watt amp if the preamp sections are sufficiently similar.

*(I've made this joke before. I'm not proud.)

MattZilla, leonard, burk48237 and 5 others like this.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They had one for a number of years in Memphis, now closed I believe.

17. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I love Mesa/Boogie. Aside from the gear though, it was their Customer Service that was absolutely stellar. I had to call them a couple of times over the course of a few years and they not only stood behind their product, they always went well beyond and treated me as a valued customer rather than some schmuck with a problem/complaint. That's what I'm concerned about losing, not so much the product changes. My past Customer Service dealings with Gibson have been very disappointing as they always seem to blame the customer for any problem with their product. At Mesa, I ended up speaking directly with a tech. At Gibson, I had to deal with a customer service kid in front of a computer screen reading canned answers and statements. Just sayin' :unsure:

Coot, Mr Cheese, TinIndian and 5 others like this.
  18. I have a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ that recently required a bit of an overhaul. This included a replacement standby switch. Mesa naturally no longer has the switch since they stopped building it 15 years ago. My tech said it was more difficult to get a part number to find an appropriate replacement from Mesa. He claimed not to have as much trouble with similar inquiries prior to the acquisition. Perhaps it was more related to COVID-19, who knows. I'm just happy my amp is in tip top shape.

tindrum likes this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Hell, the prodigy would be cool

Avalon5, Wicked G and slagbass like this.
  20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is part of the problem companies have when supporting products from many years ago. Some of the parts were standard parts back then but have been discontinued by their manufacturers, which makes it harder to source an appropriate replacement.

We are all in for a wake-up call soon, as many parts are being discontinued or are becoming obsolete due to a lack of demand (industry-wide). This is especially true as surface mount has overtaken through-hole assembly (now, probably 75% of components are available in SMT only), which further complicates building the type of equipment we do where through-hole is still a better approach (due to the voltages involved and the size of necessary parts).

Coot, timplog, Balog and 12 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021