1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson, and the imported woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ewo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Just ran across a blog post on Gibson's settlement with the Feds, regarding the 2011 raid on the factory in which a large quantity of imported wood was seized. You can follow the links for background, if you like.

Here 'tis.

2. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    From the DOJs settlement letter.

".....Instead, Gibson relied on the fact that T.N. was an established, FSC chain of custody certified supplier...."

I find the newspaper accounts are skewed a little. The full document is on Gibson's site and its worth reading. The DOJ press release makes the DOJ look good.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gibson-Comments-on-Department-of-Justice-Settlemen.aspx#disqus_thread

Do us all a favor and keep the political comments quiet. If you read the DOJ vs Gibson settlement letter first, then read the media, DOJ, Gibson statements you might find it surprising.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Welcome to 2011, enjoy your stay.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Thread similar to this already closed down today.

5. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    I noticed, but this was not a verdict, so the statements in the media are only opinions and arguments and not a complete representation of the facts.

Your advocacy to shut down the conversation clearly shows your opinion!

6. lebaron

lebaron

Sep 13, 2008
    hehe yeah better stay out of the politics. :bag:

but on topic, since this is settled and from what I understand Gibson will be able to use the rosewood again what do you guys think will happen to the baked maple boards on certain models? just as good as rosewood right? ;)