1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson bass players...Difference between a EB4 and a EB 13?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigRedBassPlayer, Jul 5, 2014.

1. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Hey all! I'm just getting famiular with these basses and have one coming in on Tuesday. A EB4 that is. So, I'm wondering, what is the difference between the EB4 and EB13? Someone is selling a 13 here on TB and I asked him. He said EB13 has 2 humbuckers that can be switched to coil mode. From what I can find, the EB4 also does this. Can anybody clarify this for me? I didn't want to clutter up his classified ad trying to figure this out. Thanks for any help!

2. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I'm guessing you mean EB 2014 vs 2013?

They made some minor model changes.. '14 has the 120 year anniversary inlay, comes with the brown hooker case instead of black, the finish is now a semi gloss rather than satin and the moved the output jack from the pickguard to the side of the body.

3. BigRedBassPlayer

Attached Files:

4. BigRedBassPlayer

Kinda looks like the finish is different?

5. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Yep, you're getting a 2013 model EB bass, so the changes I listed above are the only differences.. Same bass otherwise.

6. BigRedBassPlayer

Ok. I guess I'm just confused why his is a EB13 and mine is a EB4 when they look identical except for the finish. Both have the input jacks on the front. I'm really not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand what the difference is. His looks identical to mine except for the finish.

7. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Well there is no 'EB13' or 'EB4', there is an EB bass, in a 4 string or 5 string model.. With various minor changes for 2014.

Someone saying EB13 would just imply it's a 2013 model.. Stating it's an EB4 would just be saying it's the 4 string version.. Really what it is is a Gibson EB 4 string 2013 model.

Because technically an EB4 is A 1972 long scale SG bass!

8. BigRedBassPlayer

Ah. Perfect sense! I was totally lost with it being called that. I really do appreciate that explanation. Even though it was a pain.

9. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    No drama here, I had a look around the web and yeah some retailers are referring to 'EB4/5' and 'EB13/14' confusing!!!