Gibson Bass Players tell me your experiences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by degroove, Jun 6, 2002.

1. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I am interested in hearing reviews from people who owned or played:

Gibson Victory standard (one pickup/passive) or the Artist (two pickups/active)

OR the Explorer

Or the V Bass

I play classic rock and am looking into these basses as future possibilities. Thanks!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out the RD Artist also. A little hard to find, but better sounding than any of those basses.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah it does sound great, but I believe it has the same or similar electronics to the Victory Artist.

Id imagine it would sound similar.

I say you try to find a Ripper.

Really great rock sound.

4. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Yas, I have heard nothing but good stuff about the RD Artist. They are a little more collectable, thus a little more expensive. I heard one person descirbe it as sounding like an "angry piano". Sweet.

Check out what happened to this poor artist..

It was enough to make me cry. :( :mad:
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    :( :mad:

I dont know if I should cry or kill that guy!

Oh and it wasnt an RD artist in the Smells Like Teen Spirit video. It was some old cheap Japanese bass.

The RD artist is in the Lithium video, and Im not sure but I think It might be in In Bloom, and I think it couldve been a standard RD in Heart Shapped Box.

Yes I am a Nirvana fan.....

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guess you haven't played one yet :D

I'm sure that some players will like them but there's a reason they bombed in the marketplace.

Of the basses originally mentioned:

A Fenderish Gibson, bolt-on neck. The Standard has only one pickup, a P-bass like tone. Artist adds a second pickup and an onboard compressor which I never cared for and an expander which I never understood :)

V bass

Rare, 30" scale, hard to play sitting. If it had a long scale they might have had something.

Nice try, odd pickups (some had pickups mounted underneath the top of the body so look like there are no pickups at all!). Most came with stupid "graphic" finishes.

All in all, OK basses with weird personalities and if you can find them cheap enough ($300-400) worth a shot. For over $400....I dunno, Dean, Hamer and Ibanez all did similar basses that are much better.

Best bet: mid 80s Hamer Blitz goes dirt cheap but is a killer bass.
  7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am just about to leave for a gig in one hour and I am bringing my Thunderbird 1976 Bass.

I just can`t get over the tone I got from that Bass every time I play it.

Gibson makes great basses !!!

Although you have to get by the heavy headstock dive problem of the Thunderbird`s.....
  8. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Have you played the Hamer version of an Explorer, I think its called the Standard. It is now out of production I know.