Gibson Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freakapotamus9, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    what do you guys think about gibson basses??? i want your opinions on eb1s, eb2s, eb3s, rippers, grabbers, les pauls, whatever youve played. what do you think of em? there arent many vintage guitar stores around me, so i rarely see these, let alone get to play one :( opinions, suggestions, experiences?
  2. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Well I played an old Jack Bruce signature Gibson the other day, it had been custom defretted....oh my GaWD!!! It was such a sweet sounding bass, I absolutely loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, I coulda took that thing home.
  3. flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    I used to play a 1976 thunderbird,it had an very deep,warm sound,it was kind of heavy but was very well balanced,I put that poor thing through heck on the road and never had a monents trouble out of it
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    just bought a thunderbird, see the thread titled here comes the THUNDER(bird) and love it!! great workmanship and unique aggressive and deep tone. i think that they are not so popular because they were not cheap, the gibson company charged more than fender in the early days for their basses. obviously nothing againsy fender...

try a t-bird, you'l have a good impression about the gibson basses!
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've owned a fretless Ripper since 1976 and have always enjoyed its sound; its electronics have be modified to Lane Poor pickups and a Bart preamp, but I also have a fretted twin of it, recently acquired, and it is a pretty versatile bass, even with the original pickups.

I owned a 96 Les Paul Standard, which was a monster-- in both tone and weight. It has that interesting ability to be huge-sounding and thick, yet cut through the mix. It was especially satisfying playing lines with the guitar player - phatt! But I sold it- the weight was way too much for my bad back.

A recent score was a Leeland Sklar signature bass from the Gibson Custom Shop (made 96-99) which I am really enjoying. It's beautifully made, and the pair of reversed precision active EMG pickups are also quite versatile and very clear and distinct in the mix. The neck is wonderful.

My basses at:
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As a bass manufacturer, Gibson makes great guitars.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i do not think that gibson basses deserve this irony. i always appreciate ironic comments such as yours, Munjibunga. but my point on gibson basses is a little bit different. i find that gibson made and make good basses. for sure they are no way comparable to modern high end basses such as sadowsky, spector, roscoe, zon, pedulla or lakland. but out there people have different ideas and tastes. for me nothing is better than have basses such as fender precision, gibson thunderbird and rick 4001. i'm not a visrtuoso, i'm not a so good bass player. i'm neither a slapper nor a session man. i only play for my amusement. and what i want when i play is a bass with a distinctive sound, not a "all in one" intrument. maybe i'm a man in the past, but i'll never regret of playin a rickenbacker or a gibson. even if there are a lot of guys who thinks that only a musicman sounds good. i assure that in my hands nothing can beat a gibson thunderbird in the middle of a ROCK show. and i hope to afford a good fender p bass as soon as possible!
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Munji - Eloquently put!!!

One of my rivals way-back-when had a Thunderbird IV when Gibsons were really "Gibsons", before the likes of Norlin Industries came in and hurt the name. I played it several times. It sounded good but was frail, especially the pickup mountings. I later read the original `Birds weren't a very solid build. Any other Gibson I ever tried was built well.

I had an EB-3 in the early `70's. It had a 3-way pickup/tone chickenhead switch - 3 ways to sound like mud. Getting my pre-CBS Precision right after I got rid of it was a sonic epihpany.

Another bassist I knew had a Les Paul Triumph Recording model. I never saw so much complexity and expense go towards sounding very dull and typically Gibson, "bbbmmmppp" and "thwappp."

I've never heard anyone say they don't like their Ripper.
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've played Rippers and Les Paul basses, liked both of them. Haven't seen the need to own one yet, but I was quite pleased with a used Ripper I test drove recently. Nice solid tone. If I found one at a good price I'd be proud to own either model.
    I was surprised at the weight of the Ripper, not bad at all. They look so huge, but they're actually pretty comfortable...

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Gibson made some decent basses but I've never had one of those "Damn!!" moments with a Gibson. I've been checking them out for over 25 years.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Munji, I will agree with that comment 98%.

The reason that I can't agree 100% is because of the Gibson RD Artist bass.

Someday, when I have some spare dimes, I will own one of these.

Moog preamp, best rock tone of any 4 stringer I have ever played.

Like this: