Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gibson basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by offspring fan, Jun 30, 2002.

1. offspring fan

offspring fan Guest

Mar 9, 2002
    England
    i have been thinking about getting a new bass and i was going to get a fender p but everyone has them and i don't think they r that good anyway, so i thought about a gibson bass cos they guitars are really good so if anyone nows if gibson basses r good plz tell me:confused:

2. the general consensus is, no. except maybe for the G-3 or Ripper, but even then it's questionable. tone aside, gibson basses are heavy and their headstocks are known to break off easily (same with the guitars).

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Can't tell you about modern Gibsons, but my '76 Ripper has booming tone and great playability. But then, so does my Fender P. :)
    Do

4. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    just curious, why dont you like fender pbasses?

5. I have a G3, which is very nice. However, the single-coil pups (it has three) sound very clean and sterile and don't put out very much output. Because of that, it's been practically useless to me for live gigs. I am actually considering dropping a preamp into it to fix this problem. Then, this will be the bass I use when I want a very clean, non-Fender sound.

However, I would like to point out that, usually, when people talk about Gibson basses, they are talking about the "EB" series bases, which is the bass version of the SG series guitars. These are, indeed, pretty crappy instruments.

Many of the other bases that Gibson has made in the past are quite nice in terms of both tone and playability (the Les Paul bass, and the "RD" series basses, for example) but the comments about them being quite heavy are absolutely true. You won't want to do a lot of jumping around the stage with one of these bad boys strapped on.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think it was Munji that said something along the lines of "as a bass manufacturer, Gibson builds great guitars". :D

That said, I was rather impressed with the SG-Z I had a chance to demo last weekend!

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never played a Gibson bass that I liked at all.
    And they are way over priced for an unimpressive bass. In my opinion, of course..................................

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have an early '70's Gibson SG-style bass. I got it cheap and strung it with flats. It's purpose is to provide big fat dub tone, and it does that very well. It's a very sweet sound for reggae and hip-hop-type stuff, but it is a role-player, like special teams players, I only need it in certain situations.

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Let me take an opposing viewpoint on this subject and say that I've found some Gibson basses to be very enjoyable to play over the years- having owned 4 or 5 EB-2s before switching to Guild Starfires.. I have to agree with their headstocks' propensity for snapping when bashed aginst a stage from a bass flight gone awry (no big deal- just Steve Swallow's original '62 EB-2 in pristine condition, the one he raves about in interviews- yeah, frigggin' toothpicks. Well, he shouldn't have sold it then!), but they're dead cheap to repair and often turn out better once they've been re-glued.

Jack Bruce certainly found a voice on Gibson basses. I find that the scale of a Gibson EB bass, coupled with the huge botom of that big-ass humbucker throws one's Fender mindset slightly off base and, in my experience, leads you into different playing territory. They are great basses for getting your own vibe going and not sounding like evryone else. I'm seriously jonesing for an EB3 with banjo tuners

10. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I never cared for the Gibson Basses at all. They are kinda low end high price. Have you tried any of the Fender Sting Ray's or how about a nice Music Man?

Overall go with what you like. If you have tried a dozen types of your favorite basses for your price range and found one you like for your style.
    That's your bass.
    Right?
    Good Luck

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    One word: Thunderbird. Great bass, awesome sound and they play great, the only thing wrong with them is the neck is heavy.

I don't like to hear these sweeping generalizations about how Gibson basses suck. They got the reputation many years ago because of the EB series basses (which do suck), and many people have just closed their minds and assume all Gibson basses are bad.

12. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I played one today. Im not sure what model it was but I know it was made in 72. Boy did it sound great. Beutiful tone. But I it was way to heavy for me. It was also oddly shaped so it wasnt very comfortable.

13. Big Ditto.
    Gibson lovers are a small cult.
    The ThunderBird and Ripper/Grabber are great basses if you like them.

You have to play one to cast a view.
    Nothing sounds like a ThunderBird.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    ...so get a Fender Jazz Bass :D

15. I used to think that. Then i asked myself "why does everyone have one?" the answer resulted in me getting a 78 P bass.

16. I'd consider a new Les Paul bass. I tried one in a music and I liked it quite a bit. It had a very warm sound. Unfortunately, the great tone was due to the enormous weight of the instrument. My god, was that thing heavy! Felt like it weighed about 20 lbs. But it would be a good one to look at if you are willing to deal with the weight.

I own an '81 Gibson Victory Standard, which also sounds great. The Thunderbird, and the Ripper (which is just huge) are also good choices.

In general, I disagree with most of the people hear. Gibson basses are great sounding instruments, and the fact that they were never popular doesn't make them any less good.

17. I have a82 Gibson Victory Artist. It has nice active electronics and nice versitile tone. I weighs alot but has endless sustain.
    Rock on
    Benton

18. Maybe you should ask yourself "why?". :D

What is it about the Fender P that you don`t care for?

19. Hey, I understand why you don't want a Fender P. I mean you're right. A lot of people have one, and you want a different look to distinguish yourself. If you're looking for the Gibson equivilant to the Precision bass, definately check out the Gibson Victory basses if you can find any.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gibson TBirds work great for rock and, if you like the way they feel and play, are hard to beat for tone and thick, griding bottom-end. Plug one into a vintage SVT and rock all night!

That said, I have little use for the rest of the Gibson bass models. I've kept a '68 EB3 (more for nostalgic reasons than anything) and a near mint '74 Les Paul Signature bass along with my '79 TBird. I don't play 'em these days, however. I just sold a beautiful '00 bird to a guy in Iowa that was really killer in terms of fit 'n finish, tone and feel.

OTOH, the worst expensive bass I ever owned was a gorgeous '67 EB2. Man, that thing played and sounded like pure crapola. Right down there with a Hofner, but that's another story...