1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson China?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodv66, Mar 13, 2019.

1. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    He's not saying Gibson made it in China or Korea. He's saying it was made in China or Korea with Gibson parts. I don't know where he got that information but either way it's hard to tell because the seller doesn't have good English language skills.

TolerancEJ and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  3. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    I asked him and he said that he was told when he bought it that when Gibson went bankrupt, they made bases over there. I said no that's not true. He also doesn't have a serial number. And for 500$, no one is jumping for it.

4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    unfortunately its the same BS story..... just that deeper boots are required

5. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    I reported it as fake. Don't want some kid buying it without knowing and getting screwed

6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

It sure doesn't look right to me. The controls are in the wrong place for a 2018, and the pickups are wrong for an earlier one. The pickguard doesn't look even remotely right for a 2018. It's closer for some earlier ones, but still not right. It wouldn't be an earlier artist if it didn't have the Moog stuff, which would be behind a much bigger cover on the back of the bass. I'm not so sure about the headstock inlay.

There's a lot not right about that one. I'm not an expert at all, and if I can figure all that out from not much more than a short look, it's a fake all the way. It might be a decent bass guitar for $100. Replace the logo with a chrome Squier badge and you are good to go.

7. A "Gibson" made in China and sold on DHGate / Aliexpress.

8. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Actually think the exact same one is in that site. Nothing looks kosher

9. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    That wiring looks like hot garbage.

10. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Chibson
    AKA
    Counterfeit

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Actually, he is. He has it titled as "Gibson RD Artist", and reaffirms that in the first sentence of the description. What the seller should be doing, if he were on the level, is announcing in big capital letters "COUNTERFEIT - NOT A GIBSON PRODUCT". But he doesn't.

I'm not all that into policing ebay, but I reported this guy a couple days ago when I saw this auction.

jamro217 and B-Mac like this.
  12. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    And they didn't do crap about it. I only did it because he's a bull artist and knows it's a fake.

B-Mac likes this.
  13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Looks like it’s made from 2x4s.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yes, the seller knows exactly what he has.

I'm not one to bash ebay, as I do a lot of business there. But they are selective on what they react to, and how fast. I had a friend who was selling a plastic model kit of a Mercedes car. It was a G4 Mercedes, and it had a figurine of "you know who" in the back seat. Some guy wanted to buy it off-site and my friend refused. The guy then went to ebay and reported him as selling hate paraphernalia. Ebay took his auction down within a few hours.

rodv66 likes this.
  15. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

eBay Ad is gone
    I also reported it

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I saw a straight up counterfeit LP once upon a time. It had the right body shape and they did an excellent job on copying the headstock, but the neck heel was square and the wiring looked like a 50’s Heathkit doorbell buzzer kit.

17. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    I told him that he was a scam artist and knew it's an Alibaba Express rip-off

B-Mac likes this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    :thumbsup:

:roflmao:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  19. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    This has to be one of the poorest-made, lousiest looking basses ever.

For the listed price, you can actually buy some decent basses.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Too bad your friend didn’t let eBay know the guy was trying to do an offsite deal on a listed item. That’s a major no-no that’ll get your account on eBay closed.