Gibson Commercial

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Jan 30, 2006.

1. i just saw a gibson commercial. it was crazy. i just thought it was like some credit card commercial of something but at the end he takes the guitar off and it goes "only a gibson is good enough"

the end
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    PRS must be killing them, the name alone has always been enough.
  3. yea really, fender too.

man, guitar commercials haha
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Gibson's own business practices are what's getting them killed. They make demands on smaller stores to carry outrageous amounts of Gibson inventory or lose their dealership. So, many stores just tell Gibson to keep their stuff. Soon it will be Guitar Center, Mail/Internet Order, or nothing, if you want a Gibson. Also, IMO, alot of the new USA Gibson stuff is way overpriced.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I remember being at the Nashville NAMM talking to a guy from Gibson who was there promoting some function. I asked where the Gibson booth was, and I was told that there wasn't one. :confused: I asked why, and he said, "We don't do NAMM booths. If they want our stuff, they have to come to us. We're Gibson!":rollno:

I understand they have a booth now? :D
  6. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Gibson was letting dealers and "invited guests" only at their NAMM booth this year. The lady informing me of this left no doubt that there was no way I was going to be "invited," perhaps I could make an appointment with the office? This was probably wise, I was going over there to see how much Cain I could raise over what they've done to Tobias and Steinberger.

The Gibson family of brands is being run extremely poorly, and being Gibson will only carry them so far. Word gets out. Steinberger owners generally shop eBay more than Musicyo, for example.
  7. A few years ago a friend of mine went to work for Tobias after years of hoping to get on with them. After a few weeks he was in the shop when the Gibson CEO came striding through. The CEO walked briskly through the drying room and pointed at each bass not yet dried saying, "Ship it. Ship it. Ship it. Ship it." So they dutifully put each bass in its case and shipped it. The customers each got basses with gold fuzz from the cases stuck to their basses. My friend quit very disillusioned. Stupidity like that, along with hounding the small and medium size retailers out of business is why Gibson is going down the tubes.
  8. OMG... Whatever happened to service with a smile, and doing the duty to make the customer happy? If Gibson goes down the tube, then so be it, nothing against them, but that's just poor ethics, and lacks of any effort to please the consumer, who after all, are the only reason they're staying afloat.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is what happens when you let bean counters run the company. My predecessor (the company founder) made it clear that an engineer or scientist would always run the company. This isn't always the best thing, but we're smart enough to have a bean counter to count the beans (engineers aren't noted to be the best at this).