1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson copying Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2meterbassman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I don't know if it's new, because I usually don't have eyes on Gibson basses (only on guitars), but right now I saw this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/EB-Bass.aspx

Mmmmh, looks like Gibson tries something in the Fender market, some might think.

To me, it looks like a Fender Jazz Bass copy - designed by a very drunk person. ROFL

Questions: are there guys in here who have one?
    Is it better sounding than it looks?
    Or am I completely wrong - and it's a fantastic sounding and comfortable playing instrument?

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Or are you wrong for starting a new thread without searching at all?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/new-gibson-bass-2013-a-906404/
    Mods get in here and close this.

3. Ha ha. Yeah, could be the Gibson DJ4 - DRUNK JAZZ:D Might be a nice player tho.:confused:

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    What does a EB bass have in common with a Fender besides a Burst paint job and a Tort guard?

The body shape is like nothing Fender has ever had.
    Set Neck.
    Two Humbucker pick ups with switching.

Just because a bass has a burst finish and tort guard doesn't make it a Fender.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    With all the companies out there making EXACT COPIES of Fender products, you have a problem with THIS? Ha!

6. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
  7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    In no way I found that close to a fender haha... Well fender bought guild so that they can sell Gibson copies.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Furthest thing away from a Fender IMO.

9. Oh, you god of all forum members in the world: please excuse me that I forgot to use the search function.

Maybe I should buy a sword now and cut my belly off like a samurai, because my unnessecary thread offended your mighty eyes.

Man, you're really rude.

10. Hey guys, I didnt say that this is an exact copy of a Jazz bass - but in a technical way, it is - and it looks like made by a drunk person. Ts, ts , ts...

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pretty much the only thing it has in common with a J is the fact that it is double cutaway. And I'm no huge Gibson fan. This thread is just ridiculous from the standpoint of companies like Lakland, Mike Lull, Sadowsky, and many MANY others making basses that look EXACTLY like Fender basses (albeit many technical differences). I just find it hilarious that THIS bass is the one you choose to point out.

12. I'll say 15 hail Leo's & play my Precision for two hours in penance:oops:

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Technically, since Fender made the first electric bass, EVERYONE building basses is copying Fender.

As for this one the only similarities I see are double cutaways and the bridge.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought it looked more like a Mosrite.

[​IMG]

15. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    Exactly what I was thinking.

16. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    I bought one. It's a great bass. Right in there with my collection of vintage and modern Precisions and Jazz basses. Just a fine instrument with it's own cool tone. I've turned on a few good friends to this bass and they are just as fond of theirs. Give one a try, or don't. Mine is working fine. :)

17. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Look up Paul Tutmarc.

18. PaulieBe

PaulieBe

Jun 25, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Me too.

19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yes, like a very blatant body knock off of one.

OP, it pays to do the homework.

20. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    i just read an article that said he was inspired by telephones.

i wish i could be inspired by a telephone :(