1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Customer Service?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wallybill, Sep 15, 2008.

1. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I have a Gibson Thunderbird that I bought used. It has a stripped tuner on it. I called Gibson and asked for a contact at Grover so that I could replace the tuner with their lifetime warranty. He asked if I was the original owner and of course I said no. He said that it would not be under warranty. I told him that I figured as much and wasn't asking Gibson to do anything except tell me how to get in contact with Grover. He said that he didn't have and couldn't get that information for me. He suggested I buy another set of four tuners and use one of those. I called back and asked for the accounting department. A friendly woman answered the phone. I told her that I needed to get a hold of Grover and was hoping she had their number so I wouldn't have to get a hold of someone in purchasing. She looked it up and gave me their number and address. Grover told me "No Problem" so I am going to mail it to them for a replacement. I've never had a problem getting information from any company before this. Apparently, if you don't buy it new, you ain't nobody.:mad:
    Is Gibson always like that? I bought a new Les Paul, but I haven't had any problems with it.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've always heard good things about their customer service. My guitarist dropped his les paul down some stairs a while back and managed to only break one tuning hey, but they sent him an entire set of new tuners. Good that grover set things straight.

3. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    Surprising. I've never called, but have emailed a few times and always got a response in a decent time frame. Most companies, email is a black hole, but I thought they did pretty well.

4. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    Ya, I sent them an e-mail too. I got an answer back within a few hours. The response was the same though. They weren't willing to give me contact info for Grover and I didn't know that they also made trophys or I would have found their website. The person I spoke with at Grover was very helpful and I am waiting on my replacement tuner. I was just really surprised that Gibson wouldn't help, especially since all I was asking for was a contact number.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have dealt with them on my Les Paul Studio guitar as well as the SG Reissue bass I used to own. Top notch service. They were great (and I deal with Sadowsky, EBMM and Fender regularly too).

6. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    Did you buy your Gibson new? That seemed to be the problem that the Gibson CS rep had with me. I've heard other people complain about Fender, but I had a bad pot on a used Jazz bass, and they helped me diagnose it and apologized that it wasn't under warranty but gave me good contact for a CTS pot that worked perfectly. I've also dealt with Pedulla and Alembic for basses that I bought used and they were very helpful. Actually, I can't think of any business I've ever dealt with that flat out refused to help in any way. Of course, the young lady in the Gibson accounting department was very helpful.
    Maybe I just got a couple of lemons in the CS department.