Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson EB-0 and EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by decadence, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Anybody tried either of these? Like em? What kind of sound do they have?

2. Played one yesterday....

Really thick and dubby, short scale (kinda weird for me). Very nice for a thick sound, and a great price (the two I saw were going for $130). Can't slap on it, not very versatile, but SO FRIGGIN' THICK.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Real Gibson EB's???

The EB-3 gets three different kinds of mud as opposed to just one. :D

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You won't find a real Gibson EB in any kind of decent condition for $130, maybe a used EPI at that price.

The sound is VERY muddy. I'll eventually get around to a pup change in my 65 EB-O.

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i also thought they sounded muddy. it was a bit odd to play, and i didnt really like the neck. if i got one i would definately put a preamp and nicer pups on it. try out some rippers and grabbers :) i like those a lot more than EB3's or EB's, even tho the SG style body does look awesome .....

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I've owned a bunch of Gibson basses and i think they're a really great way to forge your own sound. They are very dark and boomy sounding and that's a welcome relief from the full-range tone of most modern basses (the ones that are supposed to somehow fit into a mix with all the full-range guitars and full-range modern drum kits and still leave room for a vocal-maybe that's why so much music sounds so claustrophobic). I've found that EB basses forge such a distinct frequency range that you can move around quite a bit without getting in the way of other instruments. Stick some heavy flatwounds on there (helps with the feel of the short-sclae neck and gives you a tremendous amount of fundamental freguency) and you can totally anchor a band in a noticably enormous way. I gurantee you that all your bandmates will smile in your direction when they hear deep bass tones coming form you and not a bunch of modern wank.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I love people who refuse to adhere to the "norms" and "common wisdom"!

corinpils, I'd like to buy you a beer, mate!