Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson EB-0 and EB-3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 20, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm getting a major jones to buy a Gibson EB-something short scale bass - one of the ones with the SG body shape. I've proved to myself that I can play 34" scale (which was a major psychological roadblock), but find I still prefer the shorter scale of my Ric and my DeA Starfire - they're more comfy for my left hand.

Comments from past and present owners of EB-0 and EB-3 basses? What did you like, what did you hate, would you buy one again, are you sorry you sold it?

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I had an Eb-0 for a few weeks, the bridge started pulling out of the body whenever I tried tuning it. I promptly took it back and got my Ibanez SR800LE instead.

The Eb-0 has a really nice tone though, really smooth, really big, really clear. :)

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Was it a Gibson or an Epi? I'm pretty much set on a Gibson, because I want a set neck and short scale.

I hope I can find a boogered-up EB-0 (or is it EB-O?), so I won't feel bad about replacing the tuners with Ultralites, the pickup with a Demarzio or an EMG (gasp!), and using a push-pull volume pot for coil splitting. Definitely not vintage!

I want to make it a bit more versatile than the typical EB-whatever.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Gibson hasn't made EB-0's or EB-3's for quite a few years. The only one like it they currently make is the SG-Z, which I believe is a 34" scale bass, and is fairly expensive (over 1k.)

Mine was an Epi.
    The pickup's fine on it, replace the bridge.
    My actual bridge was pulling out of the body when I tried to tune it. My bass instructor thought it was simply a defect in design.

I'd get one again, but I'd make sure to replace the bridge shortly afterward.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My intent is to find a '60s or '70s vintage EB-O for this project. My "not vintage" comment was in regards to not keeping it original.

If Epi either made the EB-O as a set-neck or the EB-3 as a short-scale, I'd be cooking with gas!

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Take a look at www.basspalace.com
    they always have those babies from the 60´s and 70´s.......... good look

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Heavy, they are pretty muddy sounding, due to the short scale and the neck pickup.

But if you are thinking of modifying it, it is a good platform. Tighter strings than a lot of short scale basses.

8. do they make EB's in 34 scale? played a vintage a week ago, it sounded good to my ears, but it was kinda hard, it was set up for a lefty, then the e string broke and my face turned a deep shade of red..........

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Heavy Duty, send me an e-mail.

10. I had a 73 EB-3. It had been modded with Grover tuners, Badass Bridge, and DiMarzio Model One. It was fun to play and not too muddy (cause of the Model One, which is a drop in replacement). Sold it on eBay for $405 a couple weeks ago.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    FC, that's kind of what I had in mind.

But my latest GAS acquisition has put this project on the back burner - maybe permanently, since I'm not having any left hand problems with the new Jazz. I'm finding I may be able to tolerate 34" scale with an A neck!

12. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    ...personally, I can't stand +34" scale instruments; I have smaller fingers, so I can get around better on my Kubicki; I'll probably get one of the Epi's after my house closes (finally)...

13. Haha, just noticed that this thread was begun on 10-20. Sorry about that--well, actually, glad to hear that your Jazz is working for ya!