1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson EB-0 vs. EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by medmed, Jan 3, 2012.

1. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    I have an EB-3. I think it's physically heavy as hell (I prefer lighter) and maybe even a little too fancy for me. A beautiful thing, but it's almost like I'm not worthy.

I have an opportunity to trade it for a 1969 EB-0 in "mint" condition. Alternatively, he's also interested in trading a 1979 Guild S-60, plus cash.

I love Fugazi. I love Shellac. I love the Jesus Lizard.

Does this trade make sense? Is one clearly more valuable/awesome than the other?

(btw i also own a gibson grabber, which is awesome)

2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    From what I have seen, EB-3s go for a good amount more than EB-0s. I've seen EB-3s go for over a thousand more than what I've seen EB-0s for.

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    However, that EB-3 was in complete pristine condition. If I were you, I'd snoop around on google for some prices for both EB-0s and EB-3s. Just out of curiosity, what year is your EB-3?

4. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    Definitely a 1972.

5. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    Wonder if I can get him to trade both the EB0 and the Guild...?

6. Just make yourself feel worthy of the EB-3..... IMHO, trading would be totally dumb.

7. ... although you will always have a tough time nailing a Bob Weston or David Wm. Sims tone with an EB-3... You'd never get it with an EB-0.... Lally, maybe.... kind of... not really.

Stick with the EB-3 and toughen up.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    '72 EB3's with their relocated neck pickup, 3 piece maple necks w/volute and larger headstocks and less contoured bodies aren't quite as sought after as the earlier all mahogany ones, but it's still probably a little more valuable than a '69 EBO. if it were me, i'd keep the EB3.

9. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    If it was my choice, stay with the EB-3. I'd love to have one.

10. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    Hmm. Well the other thing is that I only use the neck pickup anyway.

And I don't have a great guitar. So if I can get this guy to give me both (unlikely) maybe I'll go for it.

11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    PM sent

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Eb-3 because its a more versitile bass than an EB-0. What year is the EB-0?

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    "If you love indistinct vague low notes of questionable origin, a sound as aggressive as a mouse at a cat convention, string taughtness that rivals jello, sustain that rivals a teenage boy's first sexual encounter with a swimsuit supermodel, and the fine intonation adjustment of a lump of molten slag, THE EBO IS THE BASS FOR YOU!"
    -Lug

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I had a 60s EB0 back in the 70s. The complete lack of treble and high mids led me to play another bass.

15. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    Yeah, I guess nah. Thanks guys.