1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson EB-0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Precision345, Apr 2, 2013.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Thousands have.

2. metalbassist456

metalbassist456

Apr 1, 2013
    Yes its pretty nice!

3. Wow, I haven't seen one with a slothead before. I have no practical use for that instrument, but it's local to me and inspires an enormous case of GAS on aesthetic grounds alone. Would somebody please buy it and remove the temptation?

I haven't played one in a long time, but as far as I remember, the original EB-0s play pretty much like the reissues.

-NT

4. I haven't played a Gibson, but my Epiphone verson with flats has indeed a fat killer tone.

5. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    That is not a '68. I have one - they have a solid headstock. A slotted headstock and pickup with a mounting ring is probably a 1970.

6. Barbo

Barbo

Oct 4, 2009
    OC CA
    I have a 1969 with a solid headstock. It is really fun to play. I don't think the slotted came until after 1970.

7. Craig82

Craig82

Mar 9, 2009
    I pretty much have that exact bass. The only reason I still have it is for sentimental reasons. I bought it when I was 14 because I was a Jack Bruce wannabe. It's pretty much a one trick pony........ And the trick isn't really that great! Just my opinion.

8. Not really practical in a modern context but boatloads of fun when you want to crank it through a tube amp. Think Allen Woody and Felix Pappalardi.

9. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the input! I would really like to play an original one because I really can't bring myself to buy a new bass. They have no character or soul. Vintage used is where it's at!

I am looking to get something vintage used and affordable for a backup to my Kramer 450B. I am thinking about getting an EB-0 based on the asthetic value and overall reputation of the bass. Being that they're really light is appealing too after playing my Kramer for 3 hours haha

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Classic if awful (IMO) instrument. The 'mudbucker'..... short scale, no intonation adjustment, nothing above about 300hz coming out. Fun I guess for a 'specialty' instrument. Mushy, dark, bloomy mess to my ear.

I had one for a short while when I first started out. Found it at a pawn shop for $90 and was excited because it was a 'real Gibson':D

11. The "soul" is in the artist, not the instrument. Newer technology allows the player to be expressive in a much more dynamic way than the muddy short-scale EB-0, which didn't even have a good reputation (shoddy build, odd body for a bass) in its own time. It has a particular sound that might be cool in a very tasteful and selective application, and it happens to be one of my dream basses, but to say that it has some character or soul that you cannot get with modern instruments is ridiculous.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I have one of these.

If you are a guitarist who understands that bass is an easy instrument that anyone can play and the perfect sound of a bass is all lows with no mids or highs to interfere with your "brutal" guitar tone, then this is the ultimate bass for your metal, blues dub, reggae or country my friend.

You will love the short scale neck for writing and tracking your own basslines, but good luck getting a retarded caveman bass player to understand the genius of the instrument. They will turn their nose up at it when they find out its not made for those horrible slappity-thwack seizures they all go through. (sigh) those poor bass players, maybe someday they will find a cure....

Gibson! Because we know basses are no different than guitars!

13. If you know what you're doing with one, like this guy, the Gibson EB0 = pure awesomeness.

14. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    That a mid 70s EBO, with the pickup moved back towards the bridge. Judging by the length of that neck, it might even be an EB-4.

15. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Gibson makes nice guitars, but for bass players I think its a lot more practical and satisfying to drop an EB type pickup into the far-neck position of a Fender.

Edit - that new Gibson bass with the Babicz bridge, humbuckers, etc looks interesting however.

16. No way dude. Half the fun is having a bass with devil horns!

17. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I suppose more than I deserved that rebuke. :)