1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson EB-3 Bridge Problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kvane, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Hello all! I have a '71 Gibson EB-3L. It's currently in the shop for a little TLC. We've seem to run into a small problem with the stock bridge versus the neck relief for a "low profile" set-up. The saddles, as many of you know, cannot be raised/lowered. Does anyone know if there are saddles that I could put on the original bridge that raises/lowers individually, or is there another aftermarket bridge I should consider? Before that gun is jumped, this is NOT a truss rod issue. It's a slight flaw in the overall long scale design of the bass. I'm just looking for a way to set the strings a little lower to the frets. Any input would be great, however, I'm hoping that someone out there has previous experience in this little conundrum.:bassist:

2. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
  3. Hmmm...too bad. :/
    I thought they had switched to the 3 point by then.

4. That's the bridge with the individual white plastic saddles, right? If so, you have two options and both are ugly: either have an experienced repair person you trust file down the string slots little by little until string height is where you need it to be, or break out the power drill and mount a Badass 1.

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Also a Schaller 360 (B?) will work but are not made anymore. I guess you could file the nylon saddles???

I was thinking of doing that to mine.

mud.

6. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    You're not the first person to have these problems. A drastic solution (that a friend of mine is just now reversing on his EB3L) is to route underneath the bridge so it will sink lower.

What the bass in question actually needs is a neck reset - whether this would help in your case I can't say

7. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington

Unfortunately not. I've got one of Seattle's best luthiers working on it for me, he and I both are exploring all options. I'm trying to avoid any routing of the wood, but I know I'll have to put a few more screw holes in it if I change the bridge.

8. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Have you used, or know someone who did, the Schaller 360? Beautiful EB3 btw.

9. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    I really like that Hipshot bridge, too bad it's 3 pronged... I don't want to bore that much, but...

10. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Thanks for the complement. It's a fun bass, but the action is still high for me.
    Yes, Mike Watt used one as did some other guys. The problem is finding one as one kind of 360 works and the other does not.

Mine was routed below the bridge when I got it and still not enough drop. Part of the issue is the Gibson two point is slightly curved.

eb.

11. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington

12. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
  13. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
  14. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    Looks like the 460 may be the ticket, if I could find one

the last time I went to Chuck Levin's, the guitar repair shop had a few in the front counter display case but I don't know if was the 460 or the 460a. call the main store and speak to the guy in the repair shop. good luck!

15. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Looks like you guys are right. Thats the bridge & they are hard to find. Also I remember one of the 460's works and the other does not, but look similar.

When they do come up for sale they get snapped up pretty quick as there are a lot of EB owners who would like a decent set up on their bass.

16. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have one too, and my luthier said that it is bc of a little documented design mistake that Gibson experimented with. It was called 0% neck pitch. There isn't enough neck pitch basically, and I had to have a neck reset like mentioned earlier.

17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I say file the saddles, I do it all the time it's not rocket science.

18. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    LOL @ Gibson sucking at making bass briges.

19. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    What about this Gibson bridge?

26 points of articulation, can adjust in every direction
    moneyshot.

birdseye.

Built under license from Warwick
    ;)