1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB-3 question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassZach, Oct 23, 2010.

1. BassZach

BassZach

May 1, 2009
    I'm curious if a Gibson EB-3 reissue bass could get an aggressvie tone or not,I used to own one but I was in a reggae band when I bought it and thats all I ever used it for.
    Any answer would be much appreciated,thanks.

2. I own an SG bass...a decendant of the EB3...not really a reissue because the electronics are different. FWIW, I don't think the tone is aggressive at all. Kind of muffled, in a midrangy sort of way: no pronounced lows, no snappy highs. Midrangy, without a lot of definition. It sort of has its own sound...which I'm not particularly crazy about. Nice player, though...

3. My bandmate has what looks like an accurate 1970's Japanese EB-3 copy, and with roundwound strings on it he can definitely get an aggressive tone. It might depend on what kind of amp you are playing through though. Playing straight through my Markbass LMII (clean, solid state) it sounds blah, but through my VT Bass pedal it really comes alive. Through a good tube amp or a decent OD pedal for slight grind, it can sound like a beast.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Jack Bruce with Cream playing an Eb3 live.

5. BassZach

BassZach

May 1, 2009
    Thanks guys,I beleive I have found my answer.

6. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Anyone ever tried the DiMarzio Model One humbucker in the neck of their EB-3?

In my metalcore days I owned a EB-0 with an added passive MM humbucker in the bridge. very spunky even without a onboard pre. These basses have a thinner body than most others so that may be a reason for a "thinner" sound IMO, no pun intended.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have one in mine. It give more definition to the tone over the stock pup. I just got a TV Jones Thundertron to try in the bridge.