Gibson EB-4 & EB-5 wiring discussion (volume taper, phase, etc)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jefenator, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I just got a 2013 Gibson EB-5 and I really love it. It's like someone slapped a nifty modern bridge onto some rare specimen from the 1960s. And it's a 5'er!! I like the general response of each pickup and the choice to go series humbucking or single coil.

One thing I am not so crazy about is the taper of the volume pots. Most of the action happens between 9 and 10 - essentially no blending nuance.

Of greater concern is the way the two pickups interact when both are on. A lot of the low frequency "thickness" gets canceled out - more so than on any other dual pickup bass I've ever tried. It does still seem like a potentially usable setting but I'm going to need a foot switch boost to match levels if I'm going to go from one pickup to both & back in the middle of a set. (Not my preferred way to roll.)

I went so far as to check the wiring but I'm fairly certain that is correct. Both pickups are hooked up the same on their respective pots & switches. With both set for single coil, they do cancel each other's hum. (If one were backwards it should be doubling, not canceling hum.)

eb-5-wiring.jpg

Maybe that's just how these pickups are. The bridge pickup does seem thicker on its own than most other bridge pickups. (So maybe that's the tradeoff: more "solo boom", less "blend".)

I am curious to hear from others who have played and/or tinkered with these EB-5s (or the 4-string variant). Is this "thin blend" thing normal? (If not is there a potential fix?) Does a 500K CTS audio taper push/pull pot yield a better taper? Anyone try a 3-way switch or a blend pot? Or the pickups in parallel? Did Gibson change anything on the newer models?

Thanks in advance!

:bassist: