1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson eb bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Eland, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. John Eland

John Eland

Oct 27, 2015
    HETTON LE HOLE
    I have one of these bass guitars, although I really wanted an SG bass but having tried one it wasn't for me having been spoilt by the EB3L many years ago! What a delight it is, lots of tonal variation, loads of punch, this is a plain Jane with a huge sound!P bass sounds, J bass sounds, no problem, heavy low end Gibson sounds, it's there on tap! This a beautifully light bass with a tiger under the hood, this can put a huge grin on most people faces if they would give it a chance, but most are more concerned with how a bass should look!I noticed it had 2015 Thunderbird PU'S, that would account for the way it sounds and you could say this is a stripped down version of the 2.5K (rrp) bass, but with none of the disadvantages! personally I will trade looks for performance any day of the week, a bass can look amazing, but sound poopie, but this one looks cool with a sound that goes way beyond it's looks, one could wear this all night it's so light, for comfort, play ability,tone and the sheer versatility of this bass, it ticks all the box's, Gibson in their rather confused state have produced a bass that sounds and punches well above it's price point in the shops, I rather like the way it looks, it's like the little blonde in the corner, shy and timid, but punches like Mike Tyson!

Attached Files:

bobyoung53, aproud1, Bass V and 2 others like this.
  2. Well, I might get one of these. They are really cool looking and have simple electronics. The whole thing fits together right and is satisfying to the eye. I know the sound will be great. Of course it will. I grew up playing every kind of inexpensive guitars. Therefore, I’m oblivious to neck shapes, minor design variations, etc. But once in a while a guitar will sound real good to me. And I have a few great guitars now. But I never had as much fun as on those cheap junkers. Rockin’ Out with my friends.

3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Glad you are enjoying it. I love all three of mine!

D88CFB0F-A382-4843-AE66-1102A472E19A.jpeg

Herrick and TheDuff like this.
  4. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Gibson 2018 EB 5-String Bass

I've been interested in these basses since they came out but never picked one up. There are two 5-strings at Zzounds for $700. I don't know what's going on with Gibson these days but they don't seem to be making these anymore. So someone buy up those two at Zzounds before I get one...please!

5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Those pickups were in the 2013-2014 EBs (and later in the Tbirds) if they are the tapped coil ones. They do sound great.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yes, these are the same (Jim DeCola) pickups originally found in 2013/14 models, coil tap and all. I agree that they sound great and very (IMO) non-Gibsonish.