1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB or EBMM USA SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer2014, Feb 4, 2016.

1. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm looking to add another 4-string bass to my collection. There's two basses I'm looking at and I have zero experience with either of them. I'm a Blues rocker who uses Fender J's & P's.

There's a 2013 Gibson EB 4-string with OHSC for $500.00 and a (1999?) EBMM USA Sub 4-string with OHSC for $400.00.

I know I have to play each one before forming a purchase decision.

Any thoughts on value, price, quality, performance, sound and any other factors?

Thank you in advance for your much appreciated comments.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    No experience with the EB Sub, but the Gibson EB is worth the money if it's a good one (QC seems to vary wildly). I recently bought one and it's a pretty versatile bass, but the ergos are not the same if you're used to Fender ergos. Good tone, meaty. I've owned a few 'real' Stingrays over the years and the necks, in my experience, are Precision-like and the overall ergos will be more familiar. Tone-wise? Can't say, I've never played the Sub version.

The Gibson may eventually increase in value, the Sub probably will not.

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    At those prices, you can't go wrong either way, both excellent choices!!!

4. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

5. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Gibson simply because I've never owned any manufactures lower price point products. Nothing wrong with a SUB, Squire, etc as these are fine instruments. I've always thought if I'm going to get a Fender I might as well get a Fender from California.

mrb327 likes this.
  6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Gibson. Got a faded SG bass due to price and it has served well.
    Make sure it can NEVER be accidentally knocked over as the machine head will most-likely be broken off(64 T-Bird taught me that).

7. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    A broken machine head. Are they Grover's?

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Buying an SUB is not at all like buying a Squier. The SUB was still made in the USA in the same plant, to the same quality as the higher priced models. It just had a less expensive finish.

To ME, the top 3 sounds for every bass player to have in his arsenal are a P, a J, and a StingRay. So, personally, I would try them both and if there was no clear winner based on how they sound and feel to you, I would go with the SUB.

Tbone76, Ikkir, H2okie and 1 other person like this.
  9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    EB would be an excellent choice

10. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    You are speaking the Gospel truth; every one needs a P, J and a Stingray. I do love the sound of a Stingray!

Ikkir, RiZzBot and StuartV like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Both are very good choices. Overall, I'd tend to veer more towards the EB since I like the Gibson sound, and the EB can deliver that plus more. They also play well based on the ones I've tried. It's a really nice bass. (As are the MM USA SUBs.)

In the end, if it's just sound you're shopping for, it's basically whether you prefer to own an active or a passive bass. I prefer passive instruments most times when it comes to 4-strings. (Fivers usually benefit by having a preamp however.)

Note: having the 'official' case is always a plus, regardless of brand of bass. It can boost the resale price if you ever change your mind.

12. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    On the phone the seller said the EBMM USA SUB passive. That doesn't sound right to me as I believed all EBMM Stingray's and SUB's are active.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

AFAIK they all are. And so says the MM website. Active is kinda what MM is all about.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! :cautious:

Weird. Did somebody do a conversion on it? Or does this person just not know?

14. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Exactly! I've never heard of a passive EBMM.

15. Go Gibson. It's a little more unique. Set yourself apart. I'm a Gibson/epiphone guy but I have p bass also. You need that dichotomy in your arsenal

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    The US built SUBs came in both active and passive, so no problem. Personally though, the passives just don't do it for me like the actives.

Tbone76, Ikkir and pudgychef like this.
  17. A Talkbass member from Sweden did a bunch of well made video demos of various classic & modern basses, the Gibson EB Bass stood out as one of the surprise favorites of mine. I would love to try one out.
    The Gibson will offer more variety. I wouldn't mind trying a US Sub as well, I've read good things about them as well. It would have to be an active version for me to consider it.

18. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The Sub was available in passive or the 2 band active. I've never played the passive so I can't comment on the tone. In that case though I'd either look for an active or buy the Gibson. I personally would look for an active Sub. Can't beat a US made bass for under $500!

19. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks, great information. I don't believe I want a passive EBMM Stingray type bass in any form.

20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i would get the EBMM S.U.B. i have one. it is passive. i love it. the basic sound fingerprint is like an active stingray to my ears, but when you play with the tone controls, you get sounds that are different from an active stingray; also, an active stingray will get sounds different from the passive. one can add an onboard preamp if desired. somewhere on this forum a guy has boards and plans for a stingray 2-band preamp clone.