1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB0-EB3 transformation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funksquatch1020, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Funksquatch1020

Funksquatch1020

Jun 17, 2020
    To any luthiers or people who are smarter than I am, I’m getting a 1961 EB0 but I’m
    Going to put a bridge pickup in it with all the controls of the EB3, will I still be able to have the original wiring of the EB0 by just adding the wiring for the controls that are not on it? Or will it all have to be new wiring?

2. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I just completed the same modification to a late model Epiphone EB-0. I would check the value on a ‘61 Gibson EB-0 before I started any modifications. You might be adding mods that take large chunks out of the value of that bass.

As for the wiring, you will have to add a volume pot at minimum. I chose not to drill any new holes in the top, so I drilled a hole into the control cavity and put in a barrel jack in fron the edge of the body so I could use the hole where the original jack was located. I now have a volume control for each pickup and a tone control. I do not have the rotary pickup selector like an EB-3.

I put the Squier Jaguar short scale fretless neck on there as an experiment. It has the original neck back on it now, but you can see the controls. The tone is actually a stack pot with different value caps on each pot. DF6DE75A-6B6C-405C-A352-2C403D61E906.jpeg

SubHuman likes this.
  3. Funksquatch1020

Funksquatch1020

Jun 17, 2020

4. Funksquatch1020

Funksquatch1020

Jun 17, 2020
    I planned on getting a ‘65 eb3 mini humbucker bridge that way it’d be closer to a real eb3. I just wanted to know if I could keep the original wiring in there if I do that

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020