1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB3 4 position rotary switch wiring diagrams

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chaz Ellison, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    I searched the web looking for a wiring diagram for a 4 position 3 pole switch in order to fabricate a wiring harness like the ones that were used in the EB3's in the 1970's. I found 4 different diagrams. The photo is of diagram #1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    Here are a few photos of the completed harness.

Attached Files:

3. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    Here is a photo of my Epiphone EB0. I routed the cavity to accept the rotary switch and the body to accept the mini-humbucker in the rear position. I have two 6 position varitones in this particular bass. I have the harness connected with wire nuts temporarily, as I am constantly swapping them around and testing different rated pots, capacitors and varitones. I also installed a bone nut and Babicz bridge on it. I have converted 5 of these to date.

Attached Files:

4. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    Here are a few photos of some of the harnesses and varitones that I have just assembled and in the process of testing them. I built two of them using a blend/balance switch. When using this harness instead of the harness with the rotary switch, it eliminates the need of having to rout out the rear cavity. The body still has to he routed out to accept the mini-humbucker.

Attached Files:

5. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    I am in the process of building rotary switch #2 and #3. Here are the photos of these 2 wiring diagrams.

Attached Files:

6. Chaz Ellison

Chaz Ellison

May 30, 2014
    Update:. EB3 wiring harness photos. Still have a few more to build when the parts arrive. I am building an EBD-2 and a Stereo harness also. I am going to install some varitone switches that I made on a few of these harnesses. I will end up with about 17 of them.

Attached Files: