1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB3 E String distorting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassVibes, Dec 13, 2018.

1. I am playing a 69 Gibson EB3 which worked great when I used it with a Walkabout/Barefaced Supertwin 212, but since I started using it with Walkabout/Barefaced 2 Two10s the E string is farting in a worrying way sounding like it's about to blow my speakers clean out! Any ideas how to tame the E string distortion?

2. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Just the E string? :roflmao: Seriously, try dialing back the bass control on the amp. The Gibby is low end heavy, so any distortion will show up there first. To combat it, boosting the highs and mids on the amp is crucial. You may have gone just over the line from warmth to distortion. It could be that the speakers are voiced differently and consequently more prone to distortion. Did you check the cab for defects first?

3. Yeah, the amp/cabs are functioning fine. It's just the E string. My Fenders are great through that set up. It's difficult as I like the low end growl of the E string so don't want to dial out too much bass and lose that. The only thing that works is if I hit the string with a lighter touch. On the Walkabout I have completely flat EQ.

4. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

If this is going to be your steady rig, perhaps lowering the pickups away from the strings will help. The greater the distance> the weaker the signal>the weaker the signal>the less distortion. This is especially true of the overpowered neck pickup. A compressor would help, too.

5. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    The 2x10 is not worthy of the mighty Gibson lows. :bassist:

If the amp has an FX loop, you could HPF out the sub-sonics that might be responsible, and I don't think that would change your tone much. Or use a more robust EQ. It might just be one hot frequency in the low end that is farting the speakers.

But the best/ easiest option is to switch back to your 2x12.

6. I tend to play on the bridge pickup. I did lower this but then it has a consequence of taking away the tone I like. Not thought of the HPF? Maybe some mileage in that. I never had this issue on the 212 so I do worry that it's a mix of a massive bass frequency and the 210s that is the issue

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IME, that growl is heard as mud FOH.

+1 For using a HPF to balance string to string volume, clean up your FOH tone and improve how you sit in the mix. :thumbsup: