Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson EB3 electronics

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by pgoat, Sep 5, 2002.

1. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Hey all,

This question for Mr. Watt: I too play a EB3 (long scale). Mine is a 70s with the Big HBer in the middle, not near the neck.

I'm fine with the tone of the pickups but my 4 way switch is shot. I'd like to yank 90% of the guts out and just have: 2 p/ups, each with a volume control and then out to the jack.

Wondering if you have tried this streamlining before (It's worked well for me on gtr) and if you'd advocate stickin w/the varitone or popping a 3-way toggle in there instead.

Thanks for inspiration and fun over the years.....

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

what I got in my eb-3 is a blend control where that four-way switch was. I have a bartolini pre-amp too so the other controls have changed too. there's a boost/cut control for mid, bass and treble. the fifte knob is a master volume.

one problem w/the eb-3 is the serious pickup mis-match: the neck one is so much more powerful than the bridge one. the pre-amp buffers both pickups and makes them equal in sense of blending. another problem w/a volume for each pickup too is that when you have to come up or down in level, you lose your mix between the two pickups - that's why I like only one volume knob.

the combinations provided by the four-way switch didn't really float my boat. your idea for the toggle switch sounds like a solution the rickenbacker bass uses. getting rid of it all together would be more like a fender jazz. if that's your route, I would keep one tone contol and make it a master, like on the jazz.

I hope these ideas can you help you some. thanks for the kind words.

on bass, watt

3. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Thank you for all that, it does indeed help!

I had read about your use of the blend & active viscera on the hoot page; I would love such a set up but the bass I am using is a friend's (I'm borrowing long term) so I am looking to do a "quick fix" which is easily restorable to stock. (my friend doesn't play, so I'd want to be able to put it back to original for their re-sell option....)

I believe your idea for the Jazz style set-up is the best. I'll probably go that route (the 4 way on mine is shot anyhoo).

Thank you again for your time and wisdom! BTW, I went to Eden a few years ago based on your usage and never looked back. The cabs are terrific and I finally splurged on their VT-300. The Trace Elliott tube heads are nice and SVTs are great for knocking down walls/eardrums, etc but the Eden is just dang MUSICAL!

-Pg

4. watt

pg,

if your fix is just temporary, than just two volumes and a tone will be easier to change back over to the original than adding a three-way toggle switch.

make sure you make a drawing of the ways things are wired before you do any gutting to make it easier to revert to the original setup.

as for eden - yes, they make stuff I really dig. I wrote about it in my last tour diary, having visited the factory in montrose, mn (about thirty miles west of minneapolis) again last spring and getting a personal tour from david eden. cool cat. I got a wp-100 pre-amp and a wt-1000 power amp and am very much into working the bass through them. one of the head engineers came to my gig at the entry that night and told me, "you make our **** sound good!" it made me blush - he was very kind but I will say I dig their gear much and glad you do too.

on bass, watt

5. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Thanks Mike! All good advice, and I want to proceed carefully as it's a friend's bass.

Yes, I saw that entry re: your factory visit. It's great that they go the extra mile and then some for you - though in all fairness they should since you've probably 'sold' more than a few Edens!

But they are also very cool with 'nobodys' like myself - my 4x10 had been rewired to stereo by its first owner and the guys in tech support were mega cool about helping me get it back to stock 8 ohms - over the phone, faxing me wiring diagrams etc. (With the tweeter and crossover thrown into the mix it was just beyond my techie capabilities!)

Sad to say not all companies would do that!

But it is indeed good stuff, very versatile (gr8 for me, I try - humbly - to channel Chuck Dukowski AND Chuck Mingus on a given night - try that with an Ampeg!). I don't know if anyone else has quite made their mark playing your brand of thunder through those (or any other !) amps , tho..... (Most guys in NYC will use Edens - or Walter Woods - for trad jazz sounds, it would seem.)

6. watt

hi,

I have to tell you that eden stuff can get pretty rowdy if you need that. I can make the little bass get really aggressive w/their equipment and you can still hear the notes and feel the punch. works good for me and I've tried other makes. that's my opinion. very versatile, very reliable. and when I tour, I play every night!

hope this doesn't sound like a commercial, I'm just explaining what my experiences have showed me.

on bass, watt

7. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Not at all! I hear ya!
    That's why I passed on the SVT; great amp but I didn't think it would be able to get past rowdy (seemed to make everything I played sound rowdy!). Guess that's why so many guys love it!

Well, your playing has always had alot of dynamics throughout your career, so I can see why you like their stuff. I love the range and yeah, I love the rough and soft extremes you can get.

Course I'm using the tube head - maybe I am missing something ; the WTs seem to be more luxuriously appointed with features. (there's MY ad man spiel!:D )

Though I'm pretty happy with the VT's simple EQ and pre/post vols. Gimme a tuner and some decent cables and I'm more or less good to go.

BTW, any NYC shows in the future?

Thanks again for generously sharing your time & insight, very good of you!

8. watt

hi,

my next tour starts on saint patrick's day, 2003.

however, maybe I'll be in nyc in january for a book release thing for a book coming out of my minutemen lyrics and a small tour diary from 1983 w/black flag and the minutemen.

on bass, watt

9. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    cool!
    I'll keep my eyes/ears open. Got a kick reading Rollins' account of life on the road with the Minutemen.....

reading Kerouac's "On The Road" now - last read it back when you were making your first records. Hits me different now but 20+ years will do that to ya!

10. watt

hi,

that is a trippy book. time will do that to you. "the divine comedy" read much different for me this last time around.

bottom line: life is to be lived - stay a student of it forever.

on bass, watt