Gibson EB3 type choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Oct 15, 2016.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Is there any EB3 type with the same specs as the early to mid 60's versions?

Must be short scale and no pencil necks......replacement pickups are fine.

I cant spend a lot......maybe a repaired or slightly modded early 60's Gibson is my best option?

2. The short answer to your question would be "no". These basses have seen so many shapes and forms that it's not even funny.

Lot of the older (pre-73) ones had their necks cracked at the point where it enters the headstock. If properly repaired, this is nothing to lose sleep over, but will bring the value of the bass down significantly during negotiation.

How much are you looking to spend? Sheer curiosity on my end, don't have an EB to sell you.

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    That's what I was thinking!

Curious if any "copy brands" are similar but short scale for sure and must be somewhat an EB3 pickup type overall.

Its not so much the amount I can spend, I just don't want to get buried in a bass I cant resell easily without much loss.....of course repaired Gibsons in general can vary somewhat.

4. Well, my overall experience - and I started playing/collecting/trading back in '79 - is that I've barely ever lost any money on well-kept instruments. They are far easier to sell by many margins, even if they are somewhat out of the mainstream taste like EB-3.

Every Japanese maker from the 70s had an EB-3 to offer. I believe that El Degas had a set-neck version, but good luck finding one of those nowadays...

5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I picked up a 65 EB-3 6 months ago with a repaired headstock (very good stable repair, done years ago) and the paint had been stripped also years ago for about a grand, plays very nice and sounds good.

6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    All else original?

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I agree, I too have bought and sold a bit since the late 80's.....but I am buying at todays prices.....the set neck, that's the difference.

Seems like a modern import EB3 version would be very easy to replicate.....I could do without the EB3 bridge fwiw....not sure about the pickup setup.

8. bobyoung53

Yes, except for the mute and truss rod cover and pickup cover, I bought a truss rod cover for it, found an original for I think 50.00-75.00. The mute was long gone, I see them on ebay here and there but I bought a different bridge for it so unless I put the original back on I'll pass on those. But yeah it's a nice bass, nice thick round neck, frets are pretty good. I won't buy a pickup cover, I take them off very bass I own.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Btw, I have a 65 SG Special with stripped finish, Grovers and strong repairs.....tell you what I paid.....under $500!

But it has the narrow nut.....otoh, the neck is beefy after the first fret....killer necks on Gibsons from this era.

As for pickup covers, not needed unless you sweat all over the pickup....truthfully, I would probably buy aftermarket replacement pickups for a repaired EB3.

I really just want the body carcass from a mid to early EB3!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. There's a EBO converted to a EB 3 in the classifieds . Not mine .

11. bobyoung53

I unhooked the choke which takes it out of the circuit and you can use pos 3 which leaves the neck bucker on full and get a nice sound by fooling with the volumes.

12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Keep an eye out for an old Aria. Those are great.

13. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    My new '74 EB-3 is awesome!!!