1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson EB3 vs SB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red7flag, Dec 18, 2018.

1. red7flag

red7flag

Oct 25, 2017
    Dickson, TN
    I have been looking at Gibson basses. They replaced the EB3 (long scale) with the SB (short scale). I am curious how different theses compare tonally? There are Epiphone EB3s available, but have the three piece bridge and cheeper appointments. I am curious why Gibson does not offer both the EB3 and SB? In my mind the EB3 would be the more serous instrument and would be the one that Gibson would offer, relegating the short scale to Epiphone. Any information would be appreciated.

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Gibson hasn't replaced EB-0/3 with SB series, these were produced concurrently in the early '70s.

EB-3 is not long scale by default. That option became available in 1970, and long-scale models are actually not all that common. Most of the famous EB-3 players (Bruce, Fraser, Bolder...RIP to all of them) actually played the standard short-scale model.

Now, you might be referring - I'm confused here - to the current SG series and not the SB. In that case, the new basses are fairly close to their EB ancestors in most respects, but sound way more refined and polite.

Hope this helps.

red7flag likes this.
  3. red7flag

red7flag

Oct 25, 2017
    Dickson, TN
    Sorry, poor typing, sg. What causes them to more more "refined and polite" and, in your opion, is that a good thing? Also, how does the long scale compare to the short scale, tonally,? Thanks for your reply.

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Electronics. While the pickups look the same as the old ones, they are actually based on Thunderbird pickups, and not the old EB ones. Is that a good thing ? For most people, probably yes.

I own and love both...

IMG-20171008-00001.

the first thing that I need to tell you is that the long scale model neck dives with the best of them. Its tone is more clearly defined OOTB, at least the way I hear it. As similar as they may look, each of them have its own sonic personality.

eb3mike likes this.