Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HWK2, Oct 10, 2000.

1. Personally, I hate the way the EB-*'s look. The Les Paul looks great (IMHO) but I am wondering if anyone out there plays either a Gibson or an Epiphone Les Paul. I have not seen any Gibson Basses when i've been to GC or out looking on Musicians Friend (Except that god awful Nikki Sixx TBird.. Ugh <--IMHO) So I am looking for some advice. I am selling my old squier P-Bass, and I getting together some cashola for a new bass, and those look the nicest (except for the MTD's or Mike Lulls.. but those are way out of my price range)
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the way the Les Paul basses look too, but I'd NEVER own one. Who plays 'em? I think I saw the Maverick's bassplayer with one once. They just don't sound that good. Gibson is not known for their basses. Buying a musical instrument primarily for looks is not a sign of wisdom ... unless you're like me ... can't play for squat, but want to look good doing it.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Who cares who plays 'em? ;)

That doesn't stop my guitarist from trying to get me to play his St George!

4. I am not saying that I want to buy one just for looks =) (But I am like you :) can't play for squat! but I am taking lessons now :) )

I just wanted to know if anyone has played one and to see what they sound like. Just the fact that they looks sweet helps a bit.. Anyway.. What bass would you suggest for around the $500 range. (No fenders..plz.. I am beginning to loathe them)

5. If I may suggest...

Try the used market. A Carvin or Yamaha could be found in that price range. I have also heard some good things about certain Pevey models, though at the moment I can not recall which ones in particular.

By the way, I agree with the earlier poster who stated that Gibson is not known for their basses. Except the Thunderbird is an exceptional instrument. And the Nicky Sick model looks the way it should (severelyt ill). Again, what the hell is Gibson thinking???

Oh right, the short-lived RD series is also exceptional. Naturally it was a fine instrument so the dim bulbs at Gibson discontinued the line.

6. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive heard alot of good things about the Epi LP.Epi makes several fine basses.I have their Casady bass and prefer it over my Fender A Std P and MIM J.Good luck!
  7. embellisher

Agreed. The RD Artist is one of my favorite 4 strings ever. If I could find a butterscotch natural/maple fretboard in good shape with functioning preamp, I would retire my Jazz in a heartbeat and that would be my main 4 stringer.

I don't like selling equipment, but if I found one of these I might even sell the Jazz to help pay for it.
  8. To this, I always respond: Godin SD or SD Pro. The two basses actually span the $500 mark - one is less expensive, one is slightly more expensive. Anyway, the standard SD is passive while the SD Pro has active Seymore Duncan Bassline pickups. The body shape is somewhat like a cross between as Les Paul and a Tele so you should like the look and they come in some really sharp colours (I especially like the transparent purple).

The workmanship at Godin is superb and your value for the dollar is amazing.

Have a look:

9. Actually I just checked out the updated site and it looks like maybe the SD Pro (active version) is discontinued but they do offer a 5 string now which is new and exciting. I actually prefered the sound of the passive SD anyway which is a very fine bass.
  10. Hey, Embellesher.

Actually an RD (Artist or otherwise) could be found at a fairly low cost. I got mine via an East coast dealer who offered it on E-Bay. It was well under $500.00 with shipping. As someone mentioned Gibson is not known as a bass company hence their instruments go for far less on the used market.

Two surprises...

One, it is the heaviest thing I have ever had over my shoulder, Mosrite included.

Two, the only Gibson I have ever seen with a maple neck.

11. embellisher

Stevieg, I wish I would happen on a deal like that. I check Ebay pretty often, have only seen one, the couple of times I have found one at a dealer they wanted around $1000. If I could get one for $500, I wouldn't have to sell the Jazz, but it might get retired.
  12. Rob, I appreciate the suggestion, but while I am sure the Godins are very nice basses, they would have to be a huge impovement over the LP in sound quality if for only that the flaired top cutaway makes them look not so nice (IMHO) but those colors are nice :) Thanks for all the advise guys, sometime in/around november I may post a pic of what I decide on :)
  13. embellisher

If you don't like a double cutaway, check out the G&L ASAT.
  14. I had an Epiphone Rivioli for a while. It had a fantastic neck, probably the narrowest, fastest short-scale neck in the business. A ball to play, and excellent for beginners to learn on. (Except it really is too expensive for what you get.) Pretty good fret work too, and a nice shallow hollow f-body with good acoustic sound and a good finish. One problem though, and a big one; after a very short while I got tired of its single plugged-in tone. The passive eqs on the bass did almost nothing, and even fiddling with my amp's eqs could do little or almost nothing to vary its tone very much. (There was also a strange button on it, perhaps a series/parallel switch, but on a single pick-up bass?? But anyway, whatever it was, pushing that button on this bass did absolutely nothing except make it's own little click!!) Also, IMO, it's single pick-up and electronics are just sadly outdated, and from what I see of most Epi basses this seems to hold pretty much true across the board...
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    (I actually CAN play for squat. That was a joke.)
  16. Hey, Embellesher...

I just recalled that I got my RD Artist from Fred's Music in Pennsylvania via E-Bay. I called them and they were extremely pleasant.

As I mentioned previousle, the bass, hardshell case (albeit with road wear) and shil pping was under $500.00 (American)!

Oh, they also included a bag of Pennsylvania pretzels. Being a native Pennsylvanian myself this was an unexpected and welcome touch.

I saw someone on the bassgear site ( (?)) selling an RD Atrist for $700.00, though that may be negotiable. It is sunburst though whereas mine is natural with just a clearcoat on it. ;-).

Incidentially, I have noticed that some on E-Bay are selling Rds and claiming they are RD Artists. Evidently, Mr. Embellesher you are knowledgeable so check the photo just to be sure. The straight RD has no on-board electronics.

If there is no photo send an e-mail and ask, no, demand details.

Good luck and if you can, don't sacrifice the Fender. The RD is an augment certainly not a replacement. My Rd Artist and '65 Jazz (sorry, bragging a bit I guess)live quite well together.

17. Hey, I forgot to mention that while Gibson may do really screwed up things like discontinue an excellent line of basses, their customer support is first rate!

After I got the RD Artist, I contacted Gibson customer support and a very nice man promptly sent me two copies each of a user and technical manual for the bass.