1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson G-3 setup...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by UnDoNe, Mar 17, 2008.

1. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    hello setup friends. i'll be receiving a 1985 gibson g-3 next week from the states (i'm in the uk), and was looking for tips/advice on a setup. would it just be the same as a 'modern' bass, or should i take care with anything in particular? the bass is being shipped with no strings, will this cause any problems? thanks in advance!

2. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Shipped with no strings?! :rollno:
    That is not very good for the neck, you could end up with a bowed neck.

Its generally more common to have the bass shipped with strings tuned to pitch, it has been shown that shipped slacked or with out string is bad. Ive had a bass come back to me with a bowed neck once (Gibson Ripper).
    You might get lucky but what type of seller would do that?:rollno:

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If the bass is to ship without strings installed, see if the seller will remove the tension on the truss rod before shipping. That will minimise the chances of a problem with neck-bowing.

4. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    just been in touch and he's putting strings on now a couple of semitones detuned.