1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson G-3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hefferstud, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Man, I have been looking around forever and i cant seem to find a good ol' Gibson G-3 for sale. I remember these pretty well because ive wanted one for several years and they used to be all over ebay a couple of years ago and now i cant finds one for sale anywhere. They dont list G-3's on their website n e more and eBay rarely has them up there. They do have the gibson ripper which kind of looks like it but dont be fooled. Does anyone know where i can find one because now im really serious about investing in one.

Thanks For your help :D

2. I have a Grabber1, natural maple w/ black pickguard. In the best of conditions for a 27 year old bass! And it has the same birthday as me !!! freaky ! :eek:

These are AWESOME basses! You may want to look into a Ripper bass, they are pretty damn good! Lots of tone adjustment ability - see: VERSATILITY!

I too, haven't seen any Grabbers OR Rippers in the EU or UK for a while. I bought mine in February, and that was the first one I'd seen anywhere for months!!

If you are patient, you'll find one. That bass at guitarbar.com looks good, but uh... The wings look, 'renewed'?

3. I suspect that the wings just came from a different board of maple, which looked exactly the same color at the time, but has faded to a different color over the years....

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
  5. granthoni

granthoni

Jul 19, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm selling my 1976 Gibson G-3 bass. It's in super clean condition with no modifications. I have pictures too if you're interested.

6. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    did Danko play one of those?

7. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Nope

[​IMG]

The Grabber...
    [​IMG]
    and G3...
    [​IMG]
    ...have a cone shaped headstock, the bass that Danko played had a Gibson "open book" style headstock thus can be easily identified as a Ripper.
    [​IMG]