Gibson G3 clips? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, May 9, 2004.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm really curious to hear some clips of a Gibson G3. Come on, I know someone here has one!!

Please!? :hyper:

2. Listen to early Green Day. That Gibson was all over the place!
  3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a '76 all Maple G3 with the clear pickups, and I can tell you it has a wide variety of bass sounds with excellent definition. You can find them in very good condition for between $450 and $600. Nice necks and not one-trick-ponys.

I like this bass a lot. :)
  4. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I know a bass player that jams and records with one of these. Gimme a few days and maybe I can come up with some tracks to post. The owner has been using this bass for years and truly loves this bass. Also, I've played a few hours on his G3 like it too. It plays smooth and the neck feels good. Plus, I think it looks cool.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go to

Its a friends band and their bassist uses a G3. Im not sure you can really hear its tone much though.

6. Hey - I have no time atm, nor any decent clips, but I'll check this thread out ina few hours after my exams, and I'll post some clips of my natural/maple '75 G3. I also own a '76 Grabbah! mmm wood!!! ;)

the neck is still setting, i think it was refinished and this could possibly be the reason the truss takes so long to straighten. coupla high frets also means the action is above my liking, but I just love the sound! :cool:

another dislike is for some reason, the harmonics really don't ring out well when all 3 pickups are on! mine has modded to have an on/off switch for the middle pup, but to really get the sound out i'd have to only use the bridge pup, and this leaves a dry treble tone!

however, i think i can get simliar to a Rick or a Sting Ray! so I'm really not complaining! :)

*hugs bass*
  7. heres an old one from when I first got the bass, nothign special and Im aware there's probably god knows how mistakes for timing!

quality sucks too, catch me on AIM ill be more than happy to send you something better quality...
  8. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    actually i preferred the tone of the G3 or was it the ripper, to subsequent albums.

i think it was 'dookie' album that featured the ripper. really bright tone
  9. No, the G3 was mainly used on the first two albums, as well as a rick 4001 and a kramer - i dont know the model, but it had a single humbucker. you can hear the rick on "christie road".

The G3 im sure was only used ona coupla' tracks, longveiw for sure, form Dookie, but Insomnia was maonly the Grabber.
    He always used it for touring up until near the end of the insomniac days until Tre` smashed it.. bastard :p

i think thats fairly accurate! :meh: :)
  10. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    You guys rock! Hey Microbass: The G3 sounds a lot more "modern" than I expected... very cool. The harmonics seem to pop right out of that thing.
  11. well.. they do and they don't, acousticly, they're awesome! but with all three pups on (my fav sound) they don't ring out as well - those were brand new strings + and I edited the amplitude! also a flat EQ, however!

thats the bass staright into my comp :)