Gibson G3 on Dookie??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by _HunterB_, Jul 7, 2018.

1. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    Alright, we're gonna beat this dead horse to death real good. I know about the interview where Mike says he used a PJ bass to record Dookie. I always just kind of accepted that, until last night I listened to some bass covers using the G3. They were spot on tone-wise. Nobody with a PJ has gotten that close. That being said, I'd just like to hear others opinions on this.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have owned two G3s and two+ PJ basses. It sounds like a G3 to me. But to be fair, a PJ with super low action, new strings, favoring the bridge pickup OR both cranked with the tone control dimed and the P pickup height quite low could nail it too. It sounds like a maple fingerboard which is why I am skeptical that it is a PJ unless it is a modified 70s one or something. Overall though, I think its G3. Too much throaty-ness to NOT have a single coil in the sweet spot.

update: reading interview that you probably read. he says it was an active PJ, favoring the P pickup. That could make sense. The active electronics could contribute to that throaty grind.

Compare and contrast to Insomniac, which he says was the G3 and you can hear differences, akin to active electronics treble presence, perhaps.

The intro to 'She' does NOT sound like a G3. I do now believe that its an active PJ. That fits the bill.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    _HunterB_ likes this.
  3. It's a Precision. It's not rumor...Mike Dirnt has said it numerous time. So much of his tone in those days were his amps, EQ and playing style.

_HunterB_ likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    So, you're asking if he just said he was using a PJ but was actually using a G3?

_HunterB_ likes this.
  5. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    Pretty much yes. Not that I don't trust him, I just wanted some opinions on it since it's such a big debate. I went back and listened to Dookie and Im definitely hearing the PJ on it now. When you really listen it just lacks some of the tonal qualities of the G3.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    Also: This thread is not an argument against what Mike said. I was just surprised that the tone of the G3 matched so well. However, on second listen there's no doubt that it's an active PJ. Coming back with fresh ears, it's very obvious. Thanks for the discussion guys!!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021