Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gibson g3 vs grabber?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    there's two basses I'm looking at, the grabber and the G3. I want everyones opinions, pros and cons or anything, because I'm killing myself, I love them both!

2. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Go get a Ripper. Way superior in construction and sound.

3. Ive got a G3, pretty good bass, very solid construction, and nice tone. Can be very bassy or bright, pretty versatile. I think that the only difference between the two is that the G3 has 3 pickups, and the Grabber has 1 sliding pickup.

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I think that is the only difference, the pickups. I think it goes grabber, g3, ripper in terms of quality or at least price when they first came out. I like the ripper but that headstock bugs me. Which do you guys prefer, the one pickup or the three?

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    get the grabber... i miss mine so much.

GIVE IT BACK CORWIN!

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Funny thing - I noodle around on tons of basses at pawn shops/guitar stores/guitar shows etc... and EVERY Grabber/G3/Ripper has played & sounded great. I've probably played at least 10.

I was at Ed Romans in Las Vegas last week & after convincing the Vinnie Vincent wannabe behind the counter, I played a RD Standard, a G3 & a Ken Smith Jazz.

That G3 was the bomb. Sounded better than any of 'em.

My next bass will be either a G3, Ripper or Grabber.

7. zartalexander

zartalexander

Mar 17, 2012
    California
    I have a Gibson G3. I think I originally wanted the Grabber, but I ended up getting the G3 since I got a great deal.

From what I've gathered though, I think they are very comparable tonally. I have heard recordings with bassists that have used a Grabber (i.e. Botch), and my G3's clean tones sound very similar to that of the Grabber's. I think the Grabber might be a little "thicker", but the G3 cuts through the mix really well. I have gotten several compliments on my bass for that reason. It definitely has a lot of mid-range, but isn't lacking in lows or highs. I'm using it with an Ampeg SVT and it sounds so punchy.

It did have a different feeling for me at first (coming from a Fender Jazz), but I have become very comfortable with it.

Overall, I love my G3. They are so expensive now, but if you have the funds or good luck, then I would say go for it. And if they are anything like the G3, I'm sure the Grabber or Ripper would be a good choice, too.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have had all three G3, Grabber, and Ripper. At the moment I have a G3 and Grabber.While I like the Rippers set neck construction I found the pickups to be weak as kittens. The G3 has a almost Jazz bass versatility to it strong and punchy with a good treble bit, it really cuts through. The Grabber with it's gimicky sliding pickup has actually become my favorite of the bunch. Thick gutsy tone, it's a great rock bass.