Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson G3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DodginBullets, Mar 27, 2003.

1. my friend has an 85 G3, its probably one of my favorite basses. anyone else played or seen em?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have seen them before, and they do look very good to me. The greenday bassist played them up until Nimrod, and his tone always sounded good to me.

3. i heard about greenday's bass player using them, I heard his broke once during a show. what a bust.

4. I owned one for about 2 years in the late 70s. It was a VERY different sounding bass. It had 3 single coils wired so you'd get:

The front 2
    The back 2
    or
    All 3 at once.

Although it did sound good, it wasn't articulate sounding enough for me. I think some of this had to do with the fact that the pickups had blade pole pieces. They were also transparent. It had a nice neck, though. This was also my first alder body bass.

Yes, I regret selling it. :(

Another Gibson sleeper.

Mike

5. I have a black G-3 that I love, great player and a useful tone especially with a preamp to give it some grunt. I've found that the trick to getting the right tone is think of the middle pu as a dummy coil and to lower the middle pu all the way down (mine is mounted on the body with screws just peeking out of the pickguard).

6. I had a blonde G-3 in the early '80's. Don't remember much about it, actually, except I ran flatwounds on it and used it for a jazz combo I played in. It wasn't a really bright bass.

7. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    "I have seen them before, and they do look very good to me. The greenday bassist played them up until Nimrod, and his tone always sounded good to me."

He used it live but used Precision basses primarily on everything from Dookie on. Around Insomniac touring time he started using a P bass in live situations as well.

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The G-3....the little known brother of the Ripper and Grabber. It has pickups designed by Bill Lawrence, about which he once told me that these are, "...great sounding basses." I have to agree if you are looking for the type of sound they give...sort of an out of phase J sound. Think of a Strat when the selector switch is in the 2nd or 4th position (or a 3 pickup Fender HM bass...same idea except these are active) and you will get sort of the idea of the sound. Almost a scooped J sound. As stated by someone else, the mid pickup is always on in any of the three positions, so it acts as both a humbucking element and to achieve the "out of phase" or "scooped" sound whenever all 3 pickups arn't on together. With all 3 pickups on it sort of sounds like a J with both pickups on. A cool bass!

Steve

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I want one bad...

BUT YOU CANNOT FIND THEM!

grr.

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    they do show up on ebay and other places now and then....just watch for them

11. I still kick myself for selling my G-3 AND a Rickenbacker combo amp in the mid 80's to an acquaintence whose kid wanted to learn, for $120. For BOTH!!! :eek:

12. Oh No! :bawl:

Mike :D

13. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    He used a P on Dookie? Wow. Most of tracks really don't sound like one. Meh.

14. yeah I could have swore he used the G3 on dookie. I've only seen them come in that brown color, and all black,

15. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I could be wrong, but Longview does not sound like a P at all. Much more like what a G-3 sounds like. But what do I know.

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Here's a direct quote from a Mike Dirnt interview....

From Guitar World: "On this record (Nimrod), I used Precision basses because my old Gibson G-3 didn't sound good with the new songs. I used a '66 and '69; they have a real warmth on the low end. For this record I knew we weren't going for the huge guitar sound; this gave me more room to get in there. I needed to play a real punchy bass on the old records because the guitar frequencies where everywhere and I needed to get right in the middle. I recorded Dookie with a Percision bass too. I use Mesa/Boogie amps, MB 2000's. They're half-tube and half-solid state. I wanted to custom-make my own sound , and Mesa/Boogie was really willing to work with me. They made me 6x10 cabinets, and we put those on top of a 1x18. I think i'm nailing it. I have an MB 2000 running each one of my 6x10 cabinets and then a MB 2000 running both of my 18's."

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They also came in butterscotch natural, and sunburst.

18. extramundane

extramundane

Dec 26, 2002
    In fact, there's one on Ebay now

19. a remember the BP interview he did circa 94'- he said he used a Gibson Les Paul Recording bass on "Longview", but a P bass on the rest of Dookie.
    strangely it doesn't sound like a P bass to me either- eg. songs like "she" with the bass on its own sound like the G3.

20. Nope, Mike didn't get a Pbass 'till Billie bought a 70's for his birfday, then they recorded Nimrod. So neh!

I love Grabbers!! I have a G1, blonde, I love 'er!

It's just such a kickass bass!
    I think Mike's G3 sound kicked the Pbass. The P is nice with his amp, but he's not loud enough most of the time!