Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson G3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I have a bass that has a good tone to it already. But Ive been looking for this tone in my head and today I found it, a Gibson G3. So I know a guy sellin one for 200 bucks. Should I go for it?
    He gave me the facts, The Paint is kinda chipped and one of the pickups doesn't work. He said I could might talk him down a little though.
    Can you get pickup replacements for Gibson G3s?

And is this a good price?

I really love the sound and feel of them though.

I found another G3, the paints a little chipped on it but its in perfect working order and they want 579 for it.

What do you guys think?

I sorta get a G-3 type sound out of my bass, althought its not as crisp and deep. Its more P Bassy. I was wondering, should I go get Heavier Bridge? Its a Yamaha Rbx 270, would a Leo Quan fit on this bass?

2. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    Wow, $200? I'd say go for it. I've seen Rippers (a very similar bass) sold for $400-500 even when beat. Actually the price of those basses doesn't seem to change much no matter how messed up they are. You probably won't be able to get a new replacement pickup for that bass, you might find an old one on eBay. Or you can have the broken pickup rewound, I think that is about $100 though I could be wrong. If the necks perfect its worth the effort. And if you decide not to buy it, let me know :)

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    There is another thread with about the same thing going on now too. And G-3's really are good basses, assuming you want that sound.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    In fact, it has the same title.

5. If youc an fix that G3 yourself, BUY IT!!!

If not , BUY BOTH OF THEM!! :D