1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Gold Top Les Paul Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluewine, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am close to pulling the trigger on a new gold top.

It's purely a cosmetic thing. I love the look.

My primary is s 91 bird.

Your thoughts?

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    C'mon, don't be upset. Just joking... And laughing with you, not at you

They never been my kinda basses, and close friends of mine repeatedly offered me a sunburst Gibson Firebird at a price (for new) nobody could ignore. I didn't do (ignore that price) but still wasn't caught by it enough to buy it.
    Honestly, amazing sounding instruments, especially the EB3...

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I had an older Les Paul bass that is very similar to the new model except mine had the warwick-style bridge. I liked the tone immensely, better than my Thunderbird. It was fairly heavy compared to the TBird, and had a very different feel. I wound up selling it to fund a Lakland.

4. ajax1

ajax1 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Hey Bluewine,

I have a Gibby Les Paul Standard Bass 1996 vintage. I think 1996 was the last year Gibson made the LP Standard model. Mine has a Warwick bridge (which I really like), the very hot TB pups and the bridge selector 3-way switch, which I think is the same as the LP you are looking at. I think the size and body dimensions are the same between the new LP you are looking at and the LP Standard I have. I really like the tone and sound my LP produces.

Many people have a problem with LP bass neck dive but I have not had that problem. The older LP models which were solid wood, not chambered, did have that problem. Mine weighs in at around 10,5 lbs. Not too heavy, but more than the other basses I play.

I have said before that I will not sell my LP (unless a really crazy offer is made) because it works with a lot of music styles. However, it is not my main bass for most things. But, a great playing bass it is.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Cool, I am trading my Eastwood classic IV and I think it will cost about 881.00

6. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    Just bought a new oversized Gibson les Paul gold top off the classifieds here. Same as u, I love gold tops, but hate the little body les Paul basses, so when they made these limited run of "oversized" more to "bass" scale, I had to do it. After set up and through the rig, it's a smoking tone and player, plus visually striking. Get one, it will be an investment since they only made 400, you'll get your Money back if you don't like it- there's a black one in the classifieds for $1200, I'd get it-

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Cool looking.
    Very heavy.
    Neck dives.
    Very modern sounding due to ceramic pickups.
    Massive output.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I buy my basses based on looks first, then sound and playability. If it doesn't sound good or play well, I don't buy it, but looks come first.

Regarding the LP bass, I really like the look but the sound is meh to my ear. So no go for me.

9. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    attachment.

attachment.

attachment.

attachment.

I have always loved gold tops. When I found out company G was making this bass, I had to have it.
    It is massive! It's by far the biggest bass I have ever played. I am 6'-2", 275 lb., so I can handle it, but it is not for little boys!
    It makes a great rock bass, as all Gibbys do. It has a big massive sound, as well. Good for a guy who uses a pick.
    It will not sound like a Fender, as Fenders will not sound like this.
    I love mine!

10. I really wish they offered this in any other color but the three I have seen, burst, black or gold. I have too many black basses. I needs a white bass, or a nice cherry red would look great.

11. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    I have never understood the "too heavy" comment. It's too relative of a word. If your 6'3 and 190ish, would wearing something 5% your body weight be different from 6% or 4%? That's do weird to me. It's a bass, who cares? I don't. I have a 5 string lull bird that's 8lbs and my Paul is like 12? Whatever, rock it, sweat a bit, all good. Weird-

I'm done-

12. For someone with a shoulder or back injury, the difference between 8 pounds and 11 can be huge.

13. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Really? 2-3lbs? Hmmm, well, I wouldn't know but maybe I'll change my opinion if I face that one day. I'll take fatigue from a 12lbs bass anyday over excruciating hand pain from a 35" scale 5 string after a week of shows-

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    +1

I had to build a super light p bass to use for marching band stand still performances. The 10-11 pound Schecter gets to be too much for my lanky build after an hour. 7 pounds feels good. Still use both for gigs though. Different sounds, but similar neck feel surprisingly.

As for the LP bass. I really really like the looks of that gold top!!!! I'm not too much of a fan of the guitar version, though.