1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Grabber 3 Bridges - Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Barbaric.Eric, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Hey gang,
    I've recently purchased a 76' Gibson G3 but at some point in the past the bridge was swapped out for a Fender style threaded bridge. It's rusted, sharp and the saddles slide side to side... it's the Achilles heel of this bass right now and needs a serious upgrade.

Does anyone have experience with replacement high mass bridges for Gibson Grabbers or G3s? I would like to use the original mounting holes, and it would be a huuuuge bonus to be able to use the original string through holes as well.

Ideally I would like the factory G3 bridge, but I don't see that as a realistic option. They are a little rare to come by.

Cheers,
    Eric

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

t only are they rare but when you do see them, they’re asking around $300!

You’re not going to find anything with the original screw pattern. Or string through that match up. Bridges that fit Fender don’t work so well because G3 has narrower string spacing.

I used a generic cast bridge with mine. I had to drill new holes and widen the string through holes in the bridge. It looks good and works fine. As a collector it’s out but I’ve had it and beat the hell out of it since 1979, including replacing the stock bridge back then and losing it eventually. It still lives.

BAd pic sorry 26E26A3E-5192-45D0-A68F-6CCEB00A2BBA.jpeg

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  3. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    This caught my interest a bit. I've just looked at maybe 6 ads for Grabbers and every one of them has a non-stock bridge. Did the Grabbers use the venerable Gibson 3-point bridge or something different?

One of the basses had a Hipshot D-style bridge , which looks as though it would allow you to use the original string thru-holes.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  5. Thanks for the input @96tbird, that cast bridge looks nice and clean on your G3, beauty bass!!

I didn't realize the string spacing, it's definitely good to know that. As of right now I have focussing on comparing the Badass II or III. Through my research it looks like the II can't be strung through, but may use the same holes that are in my bass right now (since it currently has a Fender style 5 hole). On the other hand the III can be strung though the body but only has 3 mounting holes, which makes me wonder if I may need to drill to mount it (or also drill the string through holes larger too).

6. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA