Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gibson grabber oddity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freakbeat, Aug 14, 2005.

1. freakbeat

freakbeat

Aug 14, 2005
    i have a gibson grabber in an unusual (to me) configuration. it has a white single ply pickguard and slider and the sliding pickup is clear with the gibson logo on top just like the black ones. unfortunately previous owners have painted the body white, then red, then battleship grey. i'm on a mission to restore this bass but i have no idea nor can i find any info on the origional body colour in combination with this pickup/pickguard. any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    most of the grabbers Ive seen have been a natural finish, there were some sunbust made I belive but for the most part that the G-1 and G-3 were mostly natural as they had a solid maple body to match the natural neck.

I think Gene Simmons of kiss used a Ripper in the early days of Kiss, His was all natural and thats the way I remember them in a gibson catalog at the time.

3. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    They were alos made in black... I think.

4. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Nope, according to his website, he used two Grabbers, one Natural the other burgundy, he did get a Ripper from Kiss' endorsement deal but that was a black one.

[​IMG]
    Gene With his Burgundy Grabber

[​IMG]
    And his Black Ripper

5. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Hey I just turned 43...memorys not what it used to be. but I belive at the time the realeased alive it was still a natural.

6. I got a G-3 new way back when they came out, and it was black. :cool:

7. freakbeat

freakbeat

Aug 14, 2005
    hey guys ,thanks for your interest.

here is a pic. as you can see the windings are visible like some of the g-3 and marauder's were. i'm 99% sure the pickguards are legit. the construction is identical the the black ones, including the raised ridges on the sliding pickup mount. the pickguards themselves have darkened presumably from exposure to flourescent light to almost a cream or parchment colour. you can see a blotch near the edge where masking tape had been and protected the area. please feel free to pass the pics along if you'd like- i could sure use some help from those much more knowledgable than i to get this restored to it's former glory.

thanks again,

jeff

Attached Files:

8. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    if it were my bass I'd get the electronics in order but leave it the way it is, I kinda like the way it looks.